I love my hifi life, i get to try so many stuff

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

The CXA80 is about £150 more expensive than the CXA60.

The local place where they use to have cambridge audio had discontinued selling cambridge audio so i had no chance of listen to the CXA 60/80.

According to reviews and experience from people i chose the CXA60 because of the price but also because of comment's like this

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/cambridge-audio-cxa60-arrived-today.433888/

Soundwise, the Rotel sounded rather uninvolving (certainly not worth upgrading from the Marantz), the Topaz SR20 sounded cloudy and the CXA80 sounded as if it had been tuned to produce every last molecule of detail but without worrying about the listening experience. To my ears, the CXA80 was VERY bright and shouty with some music being distinctly unenjoyable.

By contrast, the CXA60 sounded tonally balanced, didn't have the midrange issues of the Marantz and had decent bottom end extension without sounding boomy or muddy. In “direct” mode, I found the CXA60 did, on occasion, tend to brightness. I tweaked the treble downwards just a touch and found the tonal mix that worked for me.

Also for some reason whathifi thinks the CXA60 is a better amp than CXA80 (imho)

If i only wanted to upgrade my amp i could have gone with the CXA80 but i think if i would have gone for a sligtly more expensive amp i would have chosen the rega brio.

With the cp1 phono stage the CXA60 is still cheaper thean the CXA80 and Rega brio, even cheaper than a Marantz PM7005

I read somebody say the Marantz PM6006 is good 7005 avarage and the 8005 the best (as fare as i remember), i have tried the 8005 with the dynaudios (different speaker cable), in the midrange the cambridge CXA60 sounds a little better

Hc6ZUHg.jpg

jjbomber said:
insider9 said:
I haven't heard that particular amp but all Cambridge Audio amps I've owned and used were always musical. I was wondering how you'll see its bass as I know it's important to you. NAD has never delivered bass of the authority I expected bar the big M2.

NAD are now owned by Richer Sounds, as are Cambridge Audio. Maybe they'll both start sounding the same as new products are released.
Is that right? I thought Sevenoaks had the UK rights to NAD.

gasolin

I can se in every country theres only one distributor of nad like in denmark.

Are they not allowed each country to have more than 1 chain store to sell them?

In denmark nobody else than hi-fi klubben (hifi club) sells nad

Back to Cambridge audio, do think they would make a 50 anniversary speaker,amp....... ? (havn't seen any)

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I believe it was reference to the fact that his character bio states he went to Cambridge University. Only aware as when you type James Bond Cambridge that is what you find *biggrin*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
gasolin said:
James Bond is an ENGLISH agent, Right?

Cambridge audio is an ENGLISH (or if you prefere it uk based) manufacture of hifi

No he's Scottish, may as well have just said the Queen or David Beckham. I'm not sure where the Cambridge connection comes in, according the the Bond wiki, 'young[/b] James was briefly educated at Eton, before going on to study at Fettes College[/b] in Edinburgh'.

Hope you like it anyway; you tend to tire easily. But if you can afford to chop and change every few weeks there's technically no harm in it.

gasolin

MajorFubar said:
gasolin said:

Cambridge audio is an ENGLISH (or if you prefere it uk based) manufacture of hifi

No he's Scottish, may as well have just said the Queen or David Beckham. I'm not sure where the Cambridge connection comes in, according the the Bond wiki, 'young James was briefly educated at Eton, before going on to study at Fettes College in Edinburgh'.

Hope you like it anyway; you tend to tire easily. But if you can afford to chop and change every few weeks there's technically no harm in it.

Sean connery is scotish Not rogermore and all the other james bond?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
gasolin said:

You're mixing up the character with the actors who play him. The fictional character James Bond is Scottish, according the the author who created him.

We've veered from the topic a bit lol, but I realise it's my fault for querying the relevance of 'think of James Bond'. Sorry.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:
MajorFubar said:
gasolin said:

No he's Scottish, may as well have just said the Queen or David Beckham. I'm not sure where the Cambridge connection comes in, according the the Bond wiki, 'young James was briefly educated at Eton, before going on to study at Fettes College in Edinburgh'.

Commander James Bond, CMG, RNVR, is a fictional character created by the British journalist .... The novel reveals Bond is the son of a Scottish father, Andrew Bond, of Glencoe, and a Swiss mother, Monique Delacroix, of the Canton de Vaud.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:
BigH said:
gasolin said:
MajorFubar said:
I'm still trying to figure out why the clue was 'Think of James Bond"...*nea*

I thought they were made in China?

Designed and enginered in UK OKAY?
"We have proudly manufactured all our products in China since 1994."

gasolin

MajorFubar said:
gasolin said:

You're mixing up the character with the actors who play him. The fictional character James Bond is Scottish, according the the author who created him.

We've veered from the topic a bit lol, but I realise it's my fault for querying the relevance of 'think of James Bond'. Sorry.

Any reason why the chose sean connery ? He IS scotish

Back on topic is the CXA80 that differrent,better than the CXA60

What hifi say about the CXA 80, Could be more agile and subtle with dynamics Not as expressive as rivals

Xlr and usb input and 20 watt more (8 ohm in 4 ohm it's 30 watt) is the biggeste difference

I have optical and coaxial cable, would be worth trying the onboard dac (is it better, Wolfson WM8740 vs 24/192 Cirrus Logic Delta/Sigma DAC) or is it just for a rainy day when i having nothing else to do ?

I do like it when the volume,gain is about the same from my pc,cdplayer and turntabel and that would not be possibel since digital input is fixed signal ?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
MajorFubar said:
gasolin said:

Any reason why the chose sean connery ?  He IS scotish

What hifi say about the CXA 80, Could be more agile and subtle with dynamics Not as expressive as rivals

Xlr and usb input and 20 watt more (8 ohm in 4 ohm it's 30 watt) is the biggeste difference

I have optical and coaxial cable, would be worth trying the onboard dac (is it better, Wolfson WM8740 vs 24/192 Cirrus Logic Delta/Sigma DAC)  or is it just for a rainy day when i having nothing else to do ?

I do like it when the volume,gain is about the same from my pc,cdplayer and turntabel and that would not be possibel since digital input is fixed signal ?

If you buy a cd with XLR then yes I would definitely get the cx80 as it makes a lot of difference aspecily with the chord shawline XLR.

gasolin

seemorebtts said:
gasolin said:
MajorFubar said:
gasolin said:

Any reason why the chose sean connery ? He IS scotish

What hifi say about the CXA 80, Could be more agile and subtle with dynamics Not as expressive as rivals

I have optical and coaxial cable, would be worth trying the onboard dac (is it better, Wolfson WM8740 vs 24/192 Cirrus Logic Delta/Sigma DAC) or is it just for a rainy day when i having nothing else to do ?

I do like it when the volume,gain is about the same from my pc,cdplayer and turntabel and that would not be possibel since digital input is fixed signal ?
If you buy a cd with XLR then yes I would definitely get the cx80 as it makes a lot of difference aspecily with the chord shawline XLR.

What.how ?

I was mostly thinking about the difference in power since whathif talk about lack of dynamic (not power) where theres really nothing with the CXA60 and as one wrote earlier (in another thread)

Soundwise, the Rotel sounded rather uninvolving (certainly not worth upgrading from the Marantz), the Topaz SR20 sounded cloudy and the CXA80 sounded as if it had been tuned to produce every last molecule of detail but without worrying about the listening experience. To my ears, the CXA80 was VERY bright and shouty with some music being distinctly unenjoyable.

By contrast, the CXA60 sounded tonally balanced, didn't have the midrange issues of the Marantz and had decent bottom end extension without sounding boomy or muddy. In “direct” mode, I found the CXA60 did, on occasion, tend to brightness.

Whathifi Wrote:

The CXA80 loses that fluid pacing and the agile melody of the bells and guitar working together to build up the song’s rhythm – it sounds restrained and the melody doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
seemorebtts said:
gasolin said:
MajorFubar said:
gasolin said:

Any reason why the chose sean connery ?  He IS scotish

What hifi say about the CXA 80, Could be more agile and subtle with dynamics Not as expressive as rivals

I have optical and coaxial cable, would be worth trying the onboard dac (is it better, Wolfson WM8740 vs 24/192 Cirrus Logic Delta/Sigma DAC)  or is it just for a rainy day when i having nothing else to do ?

I do like it when the volume,gain is about the same from my pc,cdplayer and turntabel and that would not be possibel since digital input is fixed signal ?

What.how ?

I was mostly thinking about the difference in power since whathif talk about lack of dynamic (not power) where theres really nothing with the CXA60 and as one wrote earlier (in another thread)

Soundwise, the Rotel sounded rather uninvolving (certainly not worth upgrading from the Marantz), the Topaz SR20 sounded cloudy and the CXA80 sounded as if it had been tuned to produce every last molecule of detail but without worrying about the listening experience. To my ears, the CXA80 was VERY bright and shouty with some music being distinctly unenjoyable.By contrast, the CXA60 sounded tonally balanced, didn't have the midrange issues of the Marantz and had decent bottom end extension without sounding boomy or muddy. In “direct” mode, I found the CXA60 did, on occasion, tend to brightness.

Whathifi Wrote:

The CXA80 loses that fluid pacing and the agile melody of the bells and guitar working together to build up the song’s rhythm – it sounds restrained and the melody doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.
Did you hear it using the XLR

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't Charles Darwin, Sir David Attenborough, Stephen Hawking, Prince Charles, Carol Vordemon have been better clues than James Bond, because they all studied at Cambridge?

Or is this like a game of I-Spy with my kids where they give the most rubbish clues ever - which is always good for a laugh when we discover the actual answer?

gasolin

lindsayt said:
Wouldn't Charles Darwin, Sir David Attenborough, Stephen Hawking, Prince Charles, Carol Vordemon have been better clues than James Bond, because they all studied at Cambridge?

Or is this like a game of I-Spy with my kids where they give the most rubbish clues ever - which is always good for a laugh when we discover the actual answer?

I always think of james bond as a british secret agent

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts