Hybrid SACDs

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Is the sound quality the same for hybrid SACD as SACDs? It seems many of the hybrids are cheaper than the sacds and you can play them them on a normal player.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Probably just that hybrids are much more common than SACD-only titles. The SACD-only ones tend to be Japan-only releases, which tend to get pricey...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Probably just that hybrids are much more common than SACD-only titles. The SACD-only ones tend to be Japan-only releases, which tend to get pricey...

Thanks.

Yes some are very pricey, Santana Abraxus sacd is £117, some the Doors are £50.

So is there any point in buying a SACD player?

T

the record spot

Ah yes, the "joke sellers" as I call them. I take it they're flogging off the likes of the Mobile Fidelity releases for that money? Go back in six months and you can put money on that title still being there.

My SACD only copy of Billy Joel's The Stranger was about a tenner off Amazon. Another disc from classical label BIS has 4 hours worth of music on the one disc, think that was less than £15. Tons of others, you just need to shop around. You'll pay through the nose for any discs if you try hard enough, but there's plenty of outlets out there with SACDs for cheap prices. I bought all my Rolling Stones SACDs (got most of them) for less than a tenner and that includes the triple-disc London Years set and the two disc compilations as well. Think Flowers was the most expensive, but even then that was a tenner and still sealed.

It's kind of an odd question - is there any point in buying a SACD player. You either get one or you don't - like I say, there's no shortage of discs and classical can be a real boon. I bought a six SACD-disc LSO set for under £15 on Amazon last year. Look around enough and you'll land the deals alright.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
No think it is just a sacd, nothing special by the way it is the cheapest on that site, 2 others used ones are £160 and £180. To be honest I would not pay over £20 for anything, you can buy the HDTracks download for less than $20 and that is probaly better sound quality.

All the ones I interested in are way to much money, yes you can buy Dire Straits for a £5 or less. Some sacds don't seem that good quality either, think Gaucho SACD is Steely Dan's worst rellease if you go by dynamic range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts