How to replace my NAD C370 amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It has developed a fault which is allegedly beyond repair. I live in Prague so its difficult to get a second opinion. So if I have to replace, what would you recommend to power:

Creek CD43

Pro Ject Debut

Pro-Ject Dock Box for iPod

elderly Pioneer F656 tuner, perhaps due for replacement

Kef Q35.2 speakers

rarely playing loud, but relatively big open plan room

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

I'm in a similar postion; I've now spent as much repairing my C370 over the 10-12 years I've owned it as I did buying it in the first place and it's now slowly dying on me... I am gutted as I love the fullness of the sound of this amp but unfortunately it looks like it's new amp time.

My inputs are a Rega P3-24 with Pro-ject Phono Box and a pc running through an Arcam - rPAC DAC, in a room about 11'x13'. Speakers are currently Mission 750LE's on Apollo stands but I'm looking to replace these when I replace the amp as I never felt as though I quite got on with them - Any system suggestions would be greatly appreciated (preferably standmount speakers as I'm shortish on room, though after todays audition I have a feeling I may have to go to floorstanders to get the sound I want)

I listen to a wide variety of music from full orchestral to experimental electronica to the heaviest doom metal, industrial, rap, hip-hop, blues, funk, 60's R&B, ska, reggae, acoustic folk, the list goes on, so I understand that it will have to be something of a compromise system to cover the number of genres I listen to.

The Arcam, I guess, is out because of my predilection for loud, heavy hip-hop & metal, neither of which Arcam seem to claim as their strong points.

Today I've spent a couple of hours auditioning an Audiolab 8200A & a Cyrus 6a through Tannoy DC6's and then Dali Zensor 7's. Didn't like the Audiolab, all the musicians were playing in time it just didn't sound as though they were playing "together", there seemed to much separation but the Cyrus certainly had it's moments. What I felt I was missing from both was the oomph that the C370 gives; not sheer volume oomph but that low volume oomph that still delivers bass and presence when played quietly (I live in a a block of flats, you have show at least some consideration :grin: ). As for speakers only the floorstanders came close... Have I been spoilt by the 120W sledgehammer that is the C370?

I'm hoping to audition a Brio-R over the next week or 2 but having listened to the Cyrus i'm concerned that this amp may also lack the oomph I'm craving.

I have a budget of around £1500 but was hoping to include in this amp, speakers & cables, a Rega TT-PSU and maybe an equipment rack to replace the MDF coffee table I'm currently using. Though I think maybe something may have to give and get put on a backburner.

Cheers folks for any and all suggestions, help, tips, etc x

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts