How to integrate my Linn Aktiv system into my Home Cinema?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hiya, I have a Linn Aktiv system which I want to integrate into my home cinema system. I have Keilidh speakers which are active and tri amped. These I want to use as left/right obviously :) I have a In Focus IN-78 projector.

I have a set of AV 5110 (Classik Unik) speakers to use as the rears.

Main questions are:

1. Sub?? Would say a Wharfdale SW250 be a good option.

2. On e-bay there are regular listings for Linn av centre speakers, which I have read are a very good compliment to the Keilidhs???

3. Would an Onkyo TX-SR605 be a good option to drive the centre/rear/sub?

4. Current DVD source is a Sony out of the box DVD and surround package, this I am planning to upgrade with possibly a PS3, or something like the Marantz DV7001.

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

John Duncan

ScottieKL:3. Would an Onkyo TX-SR605 be a good option to drive the centre/rear/sub?

I'm thinking not - presumably you plan to use an AV processor to feed the front left and right signals to the Aktivs, whilst leaving it to its own devices on centre/rear/sub? If so, the Onkyo won't work as it doesn't have preouts.

But since the centre provides about 70% of a movie soundtrack, I suspect any budget AV receiver is going to sound pretty weedy next to a triamped Aktiv setup - I think you may have integration issues........

A

Anonymous

ScottieKL:But since the centre provides about 70% of a movie soundtrack, I suspect any budget AV receiver is going to sound pretty weedy next to a triamped Aktiv setup - I think you may have integration issues........

This is a good comment. ÿI had a similar setup a few years ago, with active Linn Kabers as L/R front 'speakers. ÿGetting good integration between L/R and centre was harder than you might think. ÿI ended up with the Linn Ekwal (not sure about the spelling), also active, driven using two channels of a Linn 5125. ÿ(That had the advantage of being able to use two of the remaining channels for the rears.)

If you do decide to try a separate amp for the centre, you'll obviously need a processor that has pre-outs for each channel. ÿBut it's not too hard to pick up Linn amps second hand at a reasonable price, so this approach may be worth considering. ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback.

One option I was thinking of is a Linn AV5103 System Controller.

Use this, with some additional amps to run the center and rears. As you say a lot of Linn Amps kicking around on ebay.

I would then also need to by-pass the pre section of my Majik-I and use it only as an aktiv amp for the treble on my speakers.

The AV5103 would then become the full system pre amp for either home cinema or audio only listening.

From all accounts the AV5103 is an excellent pre-amp, and would be an upgrade audio wise from the Majik-I, and would let me integrate my Aktive setup and my home cinema plans.

Sound like a plan?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts