How to increase output

Mark674

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Need a bit of help please folks

I have a Cambridge azur351a amp output 45w per channel which is not very old

How can I increase output,would a power amp help?

Thanks

jjbomber

Mark674 said:

Yes in a nutshell. The rec out of the Azur would go to the line in of the power amp. But.....

45wpc should be plenty loud enough for domestic use. The problem may well be elsewhere. Check the speakers connections are correct. Is it too quiet with all inputs or just one? What speakers are you using?

jjbomber said:
Mark674 said:

Yes in a nutshell. The rec out of the Azur would go to the line in of the power amp. But.....

45wpc should be plenty loud enough for domestic use. The problem may well be elsewhere. Check the speakers connections are correct. Is it too quiet with all inputs or just one? What speakers are you using?

Not too sure where he mentioned quiet. However you are correct in that the amp should be sufficient for most but the more inefficient speakers in a normal domestic environment.

Perhaps the OP could add a bit more info as to why he feels that he needs more 'power'.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Or.......

You could try a pre-amp or mixing board with volume controls and increase the out put on your source.

Small increments though and start with the amp volume set low.

Also,cheap freebie interconnects can have an effect on volume output in a negative manner.45 watts should be plenty of power for a decent volume output if your speakers are in the 88-90 db range at 8 ohms,below 88 and they might be starting to ask some questions of the amp.If the op told us the speakers he is using,it would help,but as for increasing power output,I think an amp upgrade would be the logical option

Mark674

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
jjbomber said:
Mark674 said:

Not too sure where he mentioned quiet. However you are correct in that the amp should be sufficient for most but the more inefficient speakers in a normal domestic environment.

Perhaps the OP could add a bit more info as to why he feels that he needs more 'power'.
Got a pair of monitor bronze 5 in the lounge and a pair of B&W in the kitchen

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Mark674 said:
Al ears said:
jjbomber said:
Mark674 said:

Hi Mark,

Do I understand correctly that you drive two pairs of speakers off the same amp (together)? If so, that might give your amp a hard time!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Mark674 said:

...wouldn't provide any method of controlling the volume because his current amp's rec-out doesn't go via the volume control.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Blackdawn said:
Maybe you have insensitive speakers?

The best way to test how sensitive they are is to call them rude names and verbally abuse them. If they don't flinch then you know they're insensitive.

Sorry.
Facepalm14.gif

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
DocG said:
Mark674 said:
Al ears said:
jjbomber said:
Mark674 said:

Hi Mark,

Do I understand correctly that you drive two pairs of speakers off the same amp (together)? If so, that might give your amp a hard time!

+1 if you are driving 2 pairs of speakers (i.e. 4 speakers) from a single 351A two channel amp, its a mistake.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
The best way to test how sensitive they are is to call them rude names and verbally abuse them. If they don't flinch then you know they're insensitive.

Sorry. 
...and if they still block your path, when asked to move, they have a high level of impedence.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
When I tried that amp in a hi-fi shop with a pair of Roksan K2 TR-5 speakers (88dB), I had to turn the volume knob to 3 o'clock to get barely moderate volume out of them. And it didn't have much more to give, it might have been clipping. The HF were painfully bright.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

Sorry.
...and if they still block your path, when asked to move, they have a high level of impedence.

Give them a gentle push with one finger. If they fall over they have very little resistance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

Sorry.?

Give them a gentle push with one finger. If they fall over they have very little resistance.
Ohms my Lord, watt a thought.
(You're a bad influence on me).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts