How to access Dolby Tru HD from my Sony BDP 185S?

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Ok ..so this type of question will have been inevitably have been answered before but bear with me please but ....will I only be able to access Dolby Tru HD sound from my blu ray discs on my newly purchased Sony BDP S185 via an HDMI lead to my Onkyo 875 receiver? (and not via it's co-axial optical output?) ..and if HD sound is available only via HDMI how do I manage with only one HDMI output on the Sony given that connects to my Pioneer Plasma? (I don't wish to have everything linked up via the receiver) .........?

jetjohnson said:
Ok ..so this type of question will have been inevitably have been answered before but bear with me please but ....will I only be able to access Dolby Tru HD sound from my blu ray discs on my newly purchased Sony BDP S185 via an HDMI lead to my Onkyo 875 receiver? (and not via it's co-axial optical output?) ..and if HD sound is available only via HDMI how do I manage with only one HDMI output on the Sony given that connects to my Pioneer Plasma? (I don't wish to have everything linked up via the receiver) .........?

You're right. You cannot get HD sound through coaxial output. You will either need multichannel analogues, or HDMI. Sony S185 does not have multichannel analogues.

I'm afraid there's no other way. You'll have to connect the Sony to your Onkyo via HDMI if you want HD sound.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
.....Thanks for the reply (just what I thought) I initially wanted to simplify things for "she who must be obeyed" by not having everything routed through the Onkyo but I guess I'll have to do that now. ...or...would an HDMI splitter work? and maintain quality?

HDMI splitter cannot split audio from video. An AV receiver is the heart of the home cinema system. You can get a Logitech Harmony remote to simplify things. I simply have to press "watch TV" to watch Sky, "watch video" to watch a blu ray film & "play game" to start my PS3.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
...Ok but ....(I'm being a pain now aren't I) is it not possible with a HDMI "doubler" out of the 185 to simply send the sound (and the picture I wouldn't be watching) to my reciever via one HDMI lead and connect another lead from the doubler to my Plasma? i.e I wouldn't need to watch actually movies via the receiver but the HDMI connection would ensure proper HD sound?

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Sorry Big boss - but having had another chat with another AV expert I accept a doubler or splitter just won't work so it's everything through the Onkyo from now on (gasp!)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
You can get a Logitech Harmony remote to simplify things. I simply have to press "watch TV" to watch Sky, "watch video" to watch a blu ray film & "play game" to start my PS3.

+5 and my lighting, CD play or BluRay play. just about anything that has an infra-red. Even me kettle for a cuppa.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts