How often do you upgrade your AV equipment?

A

Anonymous

I'd upgrade as often as I could if I had the money to. I'm saving up at the moment for a system worth keeping for a while so I can then hopefully spend more time saving and upgrade when I have to and not when I want to.

I've currently got a Panasonic 37LZD70 on to which I've connected only my PS3 along with PlayTV which is doing me just fine for now..........

I plan to get the Panasonic 42V10 plasma, providing the reviews are positive aswel as my personal viewing experience, along with the BD60 or BD80 depending on price when I take the plunge. I do also want to invest in a receiver and speaker package but that will have to wait until the funds become available.

If only money grew on tree's :(

A

Anonymous

Once, I tend to buy a product that ticks all the boxes for me or is capable of doing so.

The biggest one being the quality of music and vision (TV, Blue ray).
The quality of the components used in the design is also important to me, and when they are lacking in critical areas I will replace, modify and tweak them.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
As infrequently as possible! Ideally as Trevor says.

First AV amp (Yamaha DSP E800), bought second hand off flea bay, lasted me nearly 8 years. I'm fully expecting my Onkyo to last just as long, if not longer. (Only thing that I can see driving a replacement would be 'the next big thing' in terms of video/sound formats).

TV is a little bit different has things have moved forward so quickly over the past couple of years - our 32" set is looking pretty small these days!ÿ

A

Anonymous

AV - now that i have a full system, when it breaks,.

HiFi - first speakers lasted about 3 years, had current ones about the same. CD and Amp lasted 5 and now have new ones. The current set up is designed to last for years and years though so hopefully no changes until it snuffs it.

Although I am eying up a pair of floorstanders, but this is mainly because some kind soul knocked over a speaker and its slightly dented and i'd like everything in perfect condition so i'll resist.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I bought my Sony LCD about 4 years ago, it's only HD ready as opposed to full HD, but I won't bother replacing it until it dies, whether that's in six months or ten years.

Bought a Sony DAV-S550 HCIAB roughly the same time. I gave this to my parents when we moved home early last year. They love it, but I wanted to 'up my game'. My current stuff is great, and again, I won't replace anything until it croaks.

Hi-Fi wise (slightly off your topic, I know), I bought my Arcam A65+, CD72T & B&W speakers in summer '02. Only yesterday did I upgrade my CD player for a better one. Amp'll be next, but may not happen any time soon. Speakers will be last.

I have upgraded interconnects (from VDH 'The Bay' which were free when I bought my CD & Amp, to Kimber 'Silver Streak's, about 3 years ago), Power cables, mains block, Rothwell attenuators (Only a month or so ago). So you could say that there has been gradual upgrading of the stuff around the core components.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Normally only when it breaks, however, as my last breakage was last month and I bought a Plasma to replace my television, I am considering this Blu-Ray lark. I have bought a HDMI lead and I'm going to try it from my laptop until either A: My wife is convinced it's worth buying a Blu-Ray player, or B: Blu-Ray Recorders drop substantially in price.

Now if you were talking about Hi-Fi Stereo, that's a different matter

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Purify21:
If only money grew on tree's :(

Unfortunately if money grew on trees,I believe that the accepted economic theory states that inflation would make everything more expensive to balance it out.

The Bank of England is currently testing this theory, they call it "Quantative Easing".

A

Anonymous

The only time i upgrade is when its makes sence to !

Example 1, If B&W bring out a new mid range speaker set that 1: sounds better & 2: looks better , then i would upgrade .

Example 2, I will only upgrade my Denon 1909 when a new sound format that comes out that it can't do , I only purchased the Receiver for the True HD part to tell the truth so if a new sound format comes out then ill upgrade .

Example 3, If non of the above happens within 4 years then i will sale on Ebay and upgrade to new , this is normaly what i do , Same for PC's aswell , I will always spend say £1200 on New pc and will not upgrade for 3 years.

I think it makes sence as if you upgraded every year then you would lose money ! Pick the things you like and Enjoy them.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've only been in this game for 2 years and I've been happy with my AV and HiFi systems for the past 6 months. Between that time I upgraded a lot. My screen has been constant and I haven't seen a better picture than the one I see so will only upgrade that when it breaks. I started off with a Sony all in one system. I then replaced that with the Jamo A10 speaker system that came with the DMR61 all in one. I then sold some of the speakers and the amp/dvd player and bought a Sony STR-DA1200es and my RS6s, then came the RSLCR centre speaker. I then sold the sub and bought the RSW12 and my R90 rear speakers. I bought a Denon DVD1940 and sold it and got an Arcam FMJ DV27A. Then I sold that and bought my Sony BDPS550 and 3400es. My HiFi upgrades have been more instinctive and plentiful but I've had lots of fun in my first 26 or so months in AV and HiFi!

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Usually when I have not bought What Hifi for many months. Buy one, and then the roller coaster upgrade starts, with no end in sight! Even worse when I subscribed......no avoiding it !

At least when its on the shelf, I can walk past and ignore it !

A

Anonymous

Had my first hi-fi, bought before uni, for about 10 years. Moved in with my soon-to-be wife and she saw the visual limitations of big black boxes and, seeing as I had noticed the sonic limitations of the kit, we decided to change it.

I upgraded and did it over about 3 years, the results of which are in another thread.

I am really hoping that my current set-up lasts me another 10 to 15 years, but I guess that depends on the longevity of the kit and how long the electronics and moving parts last. I do get the feeling from Spendor and Cyrus that if there are any problems, they would be more than happy to service the kit even if it is several years down the line.

However, all that said, when WHFSAV report sonic/visual leaps from new kit over the kit you have, it is going to be difficult to resist temptation for 10 to 15 years!

TRENDING THREADS