How much is twice as loud?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The loudest noise on the planet is, without doubt, the screaming two year old in the seat row behind you as the 747 descends andthe child's ears begin to pop.....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
The ear processes sound in a logarithmic form not a linear form, therefore volume doubling requires 10 times the power (10db), compared to 2 times the power if it was in a linear form.

Example:

1w = 50db

10w = 60db

100w = 70db

1000w = 80db

Each 10db is a doubling of volume.

Bill

If memory serves me right, the formula for gain in decibels is:

Gain = -20 x ln(A/B)

ln = natural or Napierian logarythm (to the base e = 2.78128 - not to the base 10)

A is the output and B is the input

SO it transpires that an increase in "loudness" of just over 3 decibels represents a doubling in "loudness".

I had to explain this to a safety manager who, in a new building a company I used to work for moved into, got a decibel meter and measured the over-loud fire alarms and found out they measured "only" 3 decibels above the OSHA noise limit for an industrial workplace, let alone an office.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
I had to explain this to a safety manager who, in a new building a company I used to work for moved into, got a decibel meter and measured the over-loud fire alarms and found out they measured "only" 3 decibels above the OSHA noise limit for an industrial workplace, let alone an office.

Based on my experiences of Health & Safety managers, that's no surprise whatsoever.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Some time ago in Ken Livingstones Peoples Republic, the authorities tried to bring in a limit on the sound level at live gigs.

One evening, at a famous pub on the Fulham Palace Road, we had a health and safety chap set up a system that would automatically cut power to the stage area when the maximum allowable SPL was exceeded. I was chatting to him while setting up the front of house desk, on stage the drummer was setting up his kit. After going through his setup routine the drummer launched into a practice solo and all the stage lights and power was immediately shut off.

See, said the health and safety guy pointing at the desk, you had it up too loud. Really I said, holding up a unconnected power lead, at that point neither the desk nor the PA were even plugged in, let alone powered up.

Live music is loud and extremely dynamic and a failure to come even close to replicating these dynamics is the major failing of most hi-fi systems.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
abacus said:
The ear processes sound in a logarithmic form not a linear form, therefore volume doubling requires 10 times the power (10db), compared to 2 times the power if it was in a linear form.

Example:

1w = 50db

10w = 60db

100w = 70db

1000w = 80db

Each 10db is a doubling of volume.

Bill

If memory serves me right, the formula for gain in decibels is:

Gain = -20 x ln(A/B)

ln = natural or Napierian logarythm (to the base e = 2.78128 - not to the base 10)

A is the output and B is the input

SO it transpires that an increase in "loudness" of just over 3 decibels represents a doubling in "loudness".

Bill,

I am afraid your memory does not serve you right. It is log (to the base 10).

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
For those interested in understanding dB, sound pressure, and perceived loudness, I can recommend the excellent services of Wikipedia. While it is a bit flaky in certain areas, generally for basic technical information like this it is very good. It is certainly more reliable than reading the posts in this thread.

What a dB is and how to calculate it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Sound pressure level, what is 0dBSPL and how it is used, A, B and C weighting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure_level#Sound_pressure_level

Subjective loudness measurement, equal loudness curves and the Phon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phon

Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts