How future-proof is a non-Full HD new set today?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It's all in the title really... what chance of a newly-bought "HD Ready" set (therefore with a resolution lower than 1920x1080) to become obsolete within a few years, what with the technology changing all the time and improving all the time?

I am currently planning to upgrade to a 32-37" (LCD or Plasma), and am wondering whether I SHOULD choose one that is Full HD rather than just HD Ready.

If I was to go for, say, the Panny TX-37PX80, would I still be able to enjoy Freeview HD for instance (whenever that may be...).

I know there are a lot of IFs here, but this forum seems to be the best place for me to ask the experts...

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Thats the way of technology i'm afraid, anything you buy today could be superceeded within a couple of years, you just have to take your (informed) choices/chances.

Ultimately I wouldn't be overly concerned with 720p/1080p etc unless you have a really big screen size, especially if it looks good to your eyes.

I'm trying my best not to buy a Blu-Ray player as I would prefer to pay for a download and store it on a Hard drive... If ever 1080p film content is available in the future.

Also, having owned a 5.1/7.1 system, I have now gone back to stereo, sometimes it's too easy to get caught up in the technology race when you don't really need to (on reflection).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Basically. If I was out buying a TV now, it'd definitely be full HD, but my current TV is HD ready, and I won't bother replacing it until it dies. I still really enjoy Blu-Ray at 720p.

daveh75

as big chris say above, also wanted to add though.... with regards to freeview hd(when it arrives) the current crop of freeview tuners whether in-built in the tv itself or seperate stb, wont be able receive hd broadcasts

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd also add it's going to be quite some time before broadcast TV is any higher in resolution than 1080i - there just isn't the available bandwidth for anything greater than this (for Freeview at any rate).

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:I'd also add it's going to be quite some time before broadcast TV is any higher in resolution than 1080i - there just isn't the available bandwidth for anything greater than this (for Freeview at any rate).

the above is def true for now - don't think it matters as don't think Full HD will be here in 2 or 3 years - will have moved on again.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:professorhat:I'd also add it's going to be quite some time before broadcast TV is any higher in resolution than 1080i - there just isn't the available bandwidth for anything greater than this (for Freeview at any rate).

the above is def true for now - don't think it matters as don't think Full HD will be here in 2 or 3 years - will have moved on again.
I'd be very surprised if that were the case personally. We shall see I guess!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts