How far from the TV should the 2 front speakers be?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Now we have flatscreen TVs, the old rules about keeping speakers well away from the TV are out of the window.

Beyond that it kinda depends on the size of the room, the choice of speakers and the whole layout, but corners are emphatically the worst place to put speakers unless you want them to sound like they're playing through a giant megaphone.

A

Anonymous

you dont want them too close in case they aren't well shielded and affect the picture (not sure if this is a problem with modern speakers/tv's).

edit: Aaaawwwww you got there first Andrew.
emotion-6.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Too slow, fast eddie!
emotion-2.gif

It's not so much to do with modern speakers, though most speakers likely to be used on the front channels of a surround set-up are now magnetically shielded, but modern TVs, which aren't affected by magnetic fields as the old CRT models were.

A

Anonymous

yeah my B&W 601 s2's affected my old (bought 2005) Loewe CRT so i thought it may still be an issue.

Maybe i should change my name...

A

Anonymous

so going back to post most of us know that speakers should not really be placed in the corners maybe what about an answer for whats the minimum distance between the front speakers for good stereo effect albeit each side of the tv

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Depends on speakers, room size, where the side walls are, how far away the listening position is, etc.

But since you ask so nicely - 'so going back to post... maybe what about an answer', tsk - I'd aim for at least an equilateral triangle. In other words, the speakers at least as far apart as the distance from each speaker to the listening position.

A

Anonymous

oops sorry to upset didn't mean too.
emotion-2.gif
my apologies just thought i would maybe get a wider view on the original question

regards tony

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
so what about this then: Room is square but with a two recess's either side of where a fire place used to be (now just a wall, 1 meter wide). TV is where fire place would be. In the reccess either side are chest of drawers. i have a small gap on either side of each drawer so can either place speakers (which I dont have yet) near the TV (will be a 40' so about 1 meter) or far end of drawers......which is better? Bear in mine the sub will need to go by the drawer too........

I know a picture would help sorry.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
not got them yet. will be going for a speaker package somwhere around £300-£500. Ideally they need to be narrow and woth or built into stands.

So I guess this may dicate where they go?

Its all so complicated! lol

A

Anonymous

I've got my front speakers - Tannoy Custom F1's - as Andrew mentioned, the distance between the speakers is equal to the distance between the TV and the sofa. This works well for me but I did have to toe in the speakers a little as the sound seemed a little separated.

A

Anonymous

My front speakers are only 2.5metres apart i could go wider but i want to keep them from the corners at the moment they are 45cm clear of the side and back walls and i listen from 4 metres away they are toe in quiet a lot actually so the tweeters sort of cross about 6 inches from my nose like everyone else ive played around and this setup suits my room . my room is long and thin and opens out to 5.5meters wide from about 1.5meters from the front speakers and is about 7.5 meters long so the speakers are kind of like in a wide alcove .So original question if your front speakers are sats and sub wide as you like i would think. but if stand mounts and floories they need the space to breath but even if they are very close together you can still get a dam good sound

A

Anonymous

I have seen on various forums ,and I believe it complys with THX ,that the speakers should be at an 30deg angle from the viewing area.

Dont know how practicable that is for most, ceartainly was no good for me way too far apart.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Dragging up a real old thread here.......and asking:

is there a 'minimum' distance you can get away with as oppose to the 'perfect' distance (which seems to be between 22 and 30 degrees)....

Does Andrew Everett still work here??

thanks in advance....

Nick_Shepherd said:
Dragging up a real old thread here.......and asking:

is there a 'minimum' distance you can get away with as oppose to the 'perfect' distance (which seems to be between 22 and 30 degrees)....

Does Andrew Everett still work here??

thanks in advance....

If you mean Andrew Everard, then yes, he still works here! :)

I don't think there's any "minimum distance" as such.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts