How far do I need to go to hear a difference?

Brucebgmg

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea what happened there - typed like crazy then it came out as a line!

I have only even bought two systems - the first 30 years ago - Dual 505 turntable, Nad 3020 Amp, Mission 700 speakers.

The after losing Nobs etc to the kids, I got a Dennon CD deck and Kef Coda 7 speakers.

With horror I now realise how old my "new" system is, and need to byuy a new one to take me into retirement. What Hi-Fi recomendations have served me well in teh past!

Given that things have moved on in eth last 17 years or so, how much do I need to spend to be able to hear a difference versus what I have now?

Denon DM39 + Q accoustics 2020i?

Marrantz MCR 610 + Q accoustics 2020i?

or even teh Ruark R7 which my wife likes the look of?

Massive price differences here - hence the question which effectivly is have things moved on to the point where I can spend the same sort of money I have previously spent , and get a better system, or do I need to up the ante to get a better system?

Brucebgmg

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea what happened there - typed like crazy then it came out as a line!

I have only even bought two systems - the first 30 years ago - Dual 505 turntable, Nad 3020 Amp, Mission 700 speakers.

The after losing Nobs etc to the kids, I got a Dennon CD deck and Kef Coda 7 speakers.

With horror I now realise how old my "new" system is, and need to byuy a new one to take me into retirement. What Hi-Fi recomendations have served me well in teh past!

Given that things have moved on in eth last 17 years or so, how much do I need to spend to be able to hear a difference versus what I have now?

Denon DM39 + Q accoustics 2020i?

Marrantz MCR 610 + Q accoustics 2020i?

or even teh Ruark R7 which my wife likes the look of?

Massive price differences here - hence the question which effectivly is have things moved on to the point where I can spend the same sort of money I have previously spent , and get a better system, or do I need to up the ante to get a better system?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry its the forum not you, you have done the classic 2 things, blank post and then a double post. Its about time somebody fixed these problems rarely have them elsewhere. |(

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Depends,

How much of your old system still works?

If your CDplayer is still good and your speakers are up to scratch it may be worth considering an AV amp in the 200 to 500 pound bracket. Most modern recievers come with a digital input and built in dac, so if your CDp has a digital out you can use it as a transport (bypass the DAC in the player). The AV amp will drive your speakers alot better than those two midi systems you are considering more so if driven in stereo (2channel). It'll also come with a built in radio. (dsp funtions, some even do bluetooth and have internet connectivity wifi etc)

Only downside maybe the size if you're looking for a compact design - but Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha Onkya have some pretty decent musical AV amps in that budget - that will out perform ..... actually try auditioning a few and compare it to those midi's (that Denon though....mmmmm, not great, dare I say it overrated.)

oh... if you still have those Missions, audition them with a Yamaha reciever..... Mission speakers and Yamaha work well together.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I really don't like Kef Coda 7's. Horrible muffled sounding things. I think you'll find it very easy to find something you prefer.

Daveperc

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I see you are thinking of 2020i's.

I had a demo of them vs the RothRA02's last week and the Roth's had so much greater depth of sound and clarity. I suspect the 2020i's would be fine with music that mainly occupies the middle ground, but if it has real range, variety and subtlety I'd go for the RA02's every time - in fact, I did!!

Dave

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The only problem of the Roth RA2 is the power they need. Sensitivity is 84db. Most budget amps will have problems with that.

With what amp did you listen to the RA2's ?

Daveperc

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
My old Marantz 1530 (37 years old!) which delivers 75W/channel IIRC - so you could be right. Have to say though the difference was very clear (with a powerful enough amp) so I'd def suggest having a listen before committing to the 2020i's.

Dave

Brucebgmg

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. I realise now I was just being lazy going for all in one's, and you have inspired me to go back it sperates - thanks.

Re the KEF coda 7 speakers - having thought they were good for years, I have recently bought a £50 pair of Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers just to improve the sound on a basic £100 telly from tesco - I now realise that the sound on those is in the same league as the KEF Coda 7's so I now have high expectations for a new set of speakers - and I will broaden my search beyond the 2020i's,

I also get the strong impression from this and a few other threads, that old stuff is not necesarily worse than new - unfortunatly my old Mission speakers bit the dust after becoming a target of my autistic son, so no chance of resurection there.

The denon CD player still works, but only on remote control. If I touch any of the nobs or buttons on the unit the volume shoots up to maximum immediately - I have had a few tellings off for that in recent years!!

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts