How do you rip at a high bit rate?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

My girlfriend has got a 120GB apple classic (I think it is that one), and I was asking here what bit rate she ripped her cd's at onto it. She has not got a clue what that is, and neither have I, as I don't have an MP3 or a computer at home (doing this from work!).

I have some grado headphones, and I don't mind her using them (if she is careful), but I would like to get the sound as good as possible, so when she copies her CD's across to it, it sounds good.

I know she has about 95Gig left, so don't think she will fill its memory, so lossless, or a very high bit rate would be good.

Just, how the hell do we do it??

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
In iTunes, go to Preferences and then click on Import Settings. By default, this will be set to MP3 and 128 kbps so you can change this to Apple Lossless in here. Note that this will not change anything on your existing library, you will have to re-rip any CDs you want in this new format.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your answer, I will get her ripping tonight.

I thought that she would have to redo the cd's, damn.

What bit rate levels are there, and how much space would an average album take when done in losless?

Sorry for the questions, but I have never even held an ipod, let alone downloaded anything! I got a really good portable cd player instead, so ipods are a whole new world to me.....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
seduct10n: What bit rate levels are there, and how much space would an average album take when done in losless? On average lossless ripping saves you about 50%, so between 3-400Mb per album I find. Did you say how many CDs she had?

Sorry for the questions, but I have never even held an ipod, let alone downloaded anything! I got a really good portable cd player instead, so ipods are a whole new world to me..... you still don't need to download anything, I just rip my cds to loseless, never downloaded anything!

A

Anonymous

I understand the process a bit now, well will when I make her do it tonight.... Thats ripping the CD's I meant
emotion-5.gif

She only has about 50 cd's, but I have about 600 of the things, all in alphabetical order as well...

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
In iTunes, go to Preferences and then click on Import Settings. By default, this will be set to MP3 and 128 kbps so you can change this to Apple Lossless in here. Note that this will not change anything on your existing library, you will have to re-rip any CDs you want in this new format.

I did this on mine but when I went back into preferences it was showing AAC encoder 128kbps again!

Do you have to reset it for every track or every album or should it stay as the new default setting?

idc

It should stay on lossless as your default setting. I have just had a play on itunes so after you have changed the setting to apple lossless click on the drop down box below (automatic is the only choice) and this will change the import setting selection from blue to white, then OK. Hopefully that will work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts