How do I transfer Contacts from an HTC Android to an iPhone?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
I've ordered an iPhone.

Anyone know how I transfer my current phone's - an HTC Android - Contacts to the iPhone? (My computer is a Mac, OS X 10.8, which I've never synced with the HTC.)

Ta :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You should be able to:

1) Go to your contacts on the HTC, choose import/export > export to storage and save them to 'Phone'

2) Put your HTC phone into disc-drive mode and connect it to your computer

3) Copy the .vcf file from your HTC (which will appear on your Mac as an external hard drive)

4) Set-up your mail account on the iPhone

5) Send that mail account an email with the .vcf file as an attachment

6) Open the mail, click on the attachment and tap 'Add all contacts'

Et viola, as they say in the section of the orchestra just behind the violins

Or, if you have a Googlemail or Gmail account on the HTC, and you contacts are stored there you could just set up the same account on the iPhone using the Exchange mail option, and it should pull through all your contacts.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
You should be able to:

1) Go to your contacts on the HTC, choose import/export > export to storage and save them to 'Phone'

2) Put your HTC phone into disc-drive mode and connect it to your computer

3) Copy the .vcf file from your HTC (which will appear on your Mac as an external hard drive)

Done steps 1-3, then opened the .vcf file on my Mac, but only 50% of the phone's contacts are in the .vcf :?

Have I done something wrong? :oops:

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Is it 50% contact names missing or 50% contact information tho all the names. Whilst the phone stores all info, the sim card only stores one number for each contact. Sorry if this is a red herring since I know my plaice. :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Could it be that some of your contacts are stored on the phone's memory, and some on the SIM? I'm not very familiar with the HTC phones, so wouldn't know how to check this, or copy them all to one place, but I am sure someone on here can advise.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Via Mac / Safari, I've just logged into my Gmail account, peeped in its Contacts and all of my HTC's contacts are listed, which is kinda spooky - "how did they get there?" :eek:

So, I've now synced the Mac's Contacts with Gmail's and, in turn, I'm assuming the iPhone will sync with the Mac's Contacts... correct?

Ta for advice, folks :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
Via Mac / Safari, I've just logged into my Gmail account, peeped in its Contacts and all of my HTC's contacts are listed, which is kinda spooky - "how did they get there?" :eek:

navy-grad.jpg

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Just in case anyone else needs to transfer an Android phone's contacts to an iPhone, here's the solution:

As discussed above, load the Android phone's Contacts into your Mac's Contacts / Address Book via Gmail.

Next, open Contacts / Address Book on your Mac, click on any single contact to select it, go to Edit > Select All (Command-A) to select all contacts.

Go to File > Export > Export vCard, and then save this file on your Mac desktop.

Send an email to yourself with this file attached.

Open the email on your iPhone and tap the attachment to import the contacts :grin:

Oh, and in future, only edit / add to Contacts on your iPhone, not your Mac. If iPhone's Contacts is amended, iCloud will auto update your Mac's - but not vice versa, for some reason :?

Bedaty

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Export contacts from HTC to vCard and then import the file to Gmail. And then launch iTunes and connect iPhone to Sync contacts.

yizeno

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I suggest you use google account to export your cotacts to a vcard format, and import to iCloud. If you found this is difficult, you can use some third party software to save your time. Some of software not only support contacts but also music and photos, even text message.

S

Stellatyler

6th.replicant said:
Just in case anyone else needs to transfer an Android phone's contacts to an iPhone, here's the solution:

As discussed above, load the Android phone's Contacts into your Mac's Contacts / Address Book via Gmail.

Next, open Contacts / Address Book on your Mac, click on any single contact to select it, go to Edit > Select All (Command-A) to select all contacts.

Go to File > Export > Export vCard, and then save this file on your Mac desktop.

Open the email on your iPhone and tap the attachment to import the contacts :grin:

Oh, and in future, only edit / add to Contacts on your iPhone, not your Mac. If iPhone's Contacts is amended, iCloud will auto update your Mac's - but not vice versa, for some reason :?

If you have a Googlemail or Gmail account on the HTC, and you contacts are put away there you could simply set up the same record on the iphone utilizing the Exchange mail choice, and it ought to draw through all your contacts.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Stellatyler said:
6th.replicant said:

If you have a Googlemail or Gmail account on the HTC, and you contacts are put away there you could simply set up the same record on the iphone utilizing the Exchange mail choice, and it ought to draw through all your contacts.

Inserting spam into a quote from another user - nice one! Are there no depths to which you idiots won't stoop?

TRENDING THREADS