How do I play Video CDs?

I just realised last week that I can't play Video CDs anymore (Yes, I've got some of them!)!! My old DVD player could play VCDs. Don't any of the current blu-ray players play VCDs? Even my PS3 cannot.

Rather than buying a separate DVD player, I'm toying with the idea of using my laptop to play Video CDs. It's got an HDMI port. If I simply connect my laptop to my Yamaha receiver, will I then be able to watch Video CDs on my TV?

John Duncan

Possibly, though it will depend on whether your laptop outputs audio via HDMI, or whether you have to run a separate audio cable, and whether this is an ongoing thing and it becomes a faff.

Thanks for your reply! I think my laptop will output audio via HDMI (according to the specs), but you have a point. All my HDMI ports in my Yamaha have been used up. So it will be a faff to get behind the receiver everytime I want to watch a VCD. Making DVDs of my VCDs is an option...........will the DVDs play automatically?

There is an HDMI port in the front of my KRP 500A media box..........if I use that, will it output audio?

I've just ordered an HDMI splitter & an HDMI cable. I'll permanently keep the HDMI cable connected. All I'll need to do is connect it to my laptop when I want to watch movies. Hopefully it should work, otherwise I'll have to go for the 2nd best option.........copying onto DVDs.

A

Anonymous

The Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player plays VCDs. Its expensive though, especially since you'll have to go for the Region-Free modified version for use in the UK.

I know the Oppo plays Video CDs. But why should I spend £600 for it??? The laptop option doesn't work. I may have to buy a cheap upscaling DVD player...........or copy the VCDs onto DVDs as John Duncan has suggested (but will my player play them then?), or simply replace my existing VCDs with DVDs.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Fear not, you are not alone, BigBoss.
I still have a big box of original films on the veritable VCD format.
A guy who works for Philips came around one day (many years ago) with a crate of stuff that they were throwing out, including a magnificent DCC beast, an ancient LaserDisc player and the VCD films with a CDi player.
VCD was very popular in places like China as the films were cheap to produce and the technology was relatively simple for mass production on a large scale.

The format is based on ageing Mpeg-1 tecnology (DVD is Mpeg-2) so the quality is sort of VHS-like, but some clever coding produced some quite good results.
I remember installing a Philips Mpeg-1 video card in my PC in the dark ages, so I could watch the films on my terminal.

I think some karaoke discs are still produced in VCD format today, so it's not completely dead just yet . . . .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts