How do I get music from my computer into my hifi or even cinema amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I am hoping that some computer music experts can help out this 'traditional hifi' listener...

I have lots of music on my computer on itunes which I use to put on my ipod/iphone. I love the functionality of itunes, but when I have one rather good and another pretty good hifi I am not about to listen to music on my tinny computer speakers...

Neither of my stereo amps have digital inputs, although my home cinema has a spare hdmi (at the moment) plus digital coax and optical inputs. The sound of that is probably not going to be as good as my stereos, but I assume would let me view the itunes menus etc.

I have an iphone 3Gs which I understand has some remote control functionality, but I would be keen to access all the tracks on my computer, which also may be higher res than those on my phone.

I have spent a lot of money on upgrading my CD (to Cyrus CD8se) and adding a second power amp, so don't want to spend a lot on this. I also don't want to do any expensive internal upgardes to my PC, as it is about 5 years old now.

Would airport express and or Apple Tv work? Do I need a separate wireless modem (currently wired but probably due a free upgrade to wireless from my broadband provider).

Advice appreciated. Thanks

idc

Basically you want to get at you music files and take the digital signal from your computer and turn it into an analogue signal for your amp. Chances are that your PC will have USB and maybe opitcal/coax digital outputs.One digital (USB, optical or coax) cable or wireless to a DAC and then two RCA/phono cables to the amp are the way to do it.

If you use itunes, have an iphone and want to go wirelessly then Airport Express and apple TV will work, but others here would need to guide you on how.

A

Anonymous

Thanks idc.

I have just checked the back of my computer and it does appear to have an optical digital out. However I don't have a system with a digital in in the same room.

I should have mentioned here that the computer with the music on it is in my study, and I would probably rather listen to music from the computer in the living room, preferably on the stereo, but if need be on the cinema amp (not as good).

Had a quick look at apple web site and Airport Express sounds promising.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
If you have iTunes and an iPhone or Touch then you are nearly there.

Add on an Airport Express for audio or for slightly more, Apple TV for less than £100. That picks up the wireless signal from your iTunes and sends it to your TV and/or HiFi. The phone or touch acts as a wireless remote and gives you the cover art as a nice wee touch but not necessary obviously.

If you are anti-Mac there must be an alternative but as I had all the other equipment it was a no-brainer.

A

Anonymous

Thanks DavieCee

Does the Apple TV have analogue audio outs to work with my stereo? Would I be able to plug it into my stereo system and have it wirelessly linked to my TV/hone cinema system?

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I have been Using an Airport Express and an Older 160GB Apple TV for several months now and can not reccomend them highly enough, I have not switched my CD player on since I got the AE, if it is just music you want then the AE is the way to go, refurbed ones from apple come in just under £60 - http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB321B/A?afid=p223|GBUK&cid=AOS-EMEA-SHOP-GoogleBase-

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB321B/A?afid=p223|GBUK&cid=AOS-EMEA-SHOP-GoogleBase-UKI would recommend hard wiring the AE with Cat5 if you can, wireless is the same sound quality but can suffer from drop-outs unless you have a very good wireless set-up. If you have the facility the optical out is better but that depends on the quality of DAC/Cinema Amp you are using.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Yellow Kid:
Thanks DavieCee

Does the Apple TV have analogue audio outs to work with my stereo? Would I be able to plug it into my stereo system and have it wirelessly linked to my TV/hone cinema system?

The New TV has Digital (optical) and HDMI out to go to an AV Amp, the Express has Analogue or Optical. The Old TV if you could Find one has All 3. You would stream the Audio From the PC and iTunes to any of these which are then hard wired to your Stereo or AV.

What Amp & Home cinema do you have? Do you have an iPhone/Touch or Pad?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
What's the budget? Perhaps the ultimate option is a Chord QBD76 DAC, into your preamp, and you could stream your music to it via bluetooth. Or a cheaper option but same set up, the Chord Chordette Peach.

A

Anonymous

Thanks pwiles

Will the AE work without having a separate wireless router?

It's not practical to wire up the AE as it is in a different room from the computer.

I want to use it in my second system, which is Arcam 8/8P amps into MA RS6 speakers: no digital input. I have a Sony cinema amp/speakers/stand all-in-one which has digital inputs, but presumably a further drop in quality from the Arcam system.

A

Anonymous

Thanks BenLaw,

The Chord does indeed look 'ultimate' but I've spend my money on a Cyrus CD8se and adding a second power amp.

So was hoping to get computer rigged up for about £100 or so!

A

Anonymous

BenLaw:What's the budget? Perhaps the ultimate option is a Chord QBD76 DAC, into your preamp, and you could stream your music to it via bluetooth. Or a cheaper option but same set up, the Chord Chordette Peach.

Thanks BenLaw,

The Chord does indeed look 'ultimate' but I've spend my money on a Cyrus CD8se and adding a second power amp.
So was hoping to get computer rigged up for about £100 or so!

John Duncan

Apple TV would probably be your best bet - HDMI into the back of your amp, job done - nice interface on the telly as well (presuming you're routing visuals through the amp to the screen?)

iPhone works as a remote - download the 'Remote' app from the app store.

Are you using the Cyrus as the front L/R of the AV system or am I mixing up systems here?

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Yellow Kid:

Thanks pwiles

It's not practical to wire up the AE as it is in a different room from the computer.

I want to use it in my second system, which is Arcam 8/8P amps into MA RS6 speakers: no digital input. I have a Sony cinema amp/speakers/stand all-in-one which has digital inputs, but presumably a further drop in quality from the Arcam system.

Assuming your computer can set up it's own wireless network there should be no problem. I did this long before I had a broadband network. The AE is remote, as in wireless, from the PC and hard wired to your choice of amp or TV. The connection is a 3.5mm dual use analogue/digital. You just have to choose the appropriate cable to suit the input you want. I had it connected to a DAC to amp and it is now relgated to a lower system connected analogue to amp.

If you go for Apple TV you can stream using an Apple hand held device as a remote just like the AE but connecting the HDMI to a TV obviously gives more options and control. I have it connected HDMI to TV and optical digital to DAC.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Yellow Kid:
Thanks pwiles

As long as you have a WiFi allready set up it work on that network, I would start with an AE wired with an analogue cable in to your Arcam I use one of thease in the dining room -

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4724

If you really like the setup you can add a DAC in to the syatem at a later date.

Turn off the AE when it is not in use I have found mine can intefere with Radio, may just be my unit but the inteferance disseapears when i turn the AE off.

A

Anonymous

Thanks John

The Cyrus are in a different system and room. My home cinema system is a sony stand/amp/speakers in one. Sound from HD sources is surprisingly good, but I'd guess that for music my Arcam 8/9P MA Silver Rs6s (also in the living room still better for music). Would the Apple TV work on that system (no digital in)?

On a different note, I am on Lovefilm which offers viewing on demand: would that stream to an Apple TV? Or would my existing Sony BDP350 do that (with a wireless dongle?)

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
For audio only, an Airport Express will meet your needs. If you want to stream video you will need Apple TV (or equivalent). The Apple TV has HDMI out for video & audio and optical digital out so you would probably want to hook up to the TV. Alternatively, get an old version 1. They are more expensive as they have a built-in hard drive but they also have phono out as well as HDMI, optical digital and component outputs.

If you are on a Mac the Airfoil software will probably stream okay but I don't use Lovefilm so I don't know. Neither do I know your options for Windows. Someone else?

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the advice. It looks like Apple TV into my home cinema system is the best bet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts