How can I tell if my Arcam 8 amplifier has been upgraded?

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
This is my first post to the forum. I have recently acquired an Alpha 8 Amplifier. The seller was selling several components and told me that both his Arcam Apha 8 CD Player and the model 8 Amp which I bought had been sent to the factory in the past and were returned upgraded to SE spec. I understand there was an SE version of the CD player but I dont believe there was ever an SE model of the amp. I'm happy with my amp as it is but I dont want to risk blowing my speakers if the amp is putting out an extra 20W or more per channel. Does anyone know if the Arcam factory would have undertaken any sort of upgrade to a basic 8 Amplifier? The badges of both machines remained as originally fitted so there is no external evidence of upgrade.

I know that Arcam was sold off but would the new owners have access to records of servicing or upgrades undertaken by Arcam if I was to send them my amp's serial number?

Thanks in advance.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm not aware of there having been an 8SE amplifier, but I'm sure Arcam would still have records of what if anything has been done to the amplifier if you give them the serial number. Presumably they still keep service records? At the same time you could check whether the CD player has, in fact, been upgraded in the past.

But anyway, an extra 20W or whatever of output from an Arcam Alpha 8 won't risk any damage to your speakers.

Arcam is still doing business and it's booming.An extra 20watts will improve the sound from the speakers not blow them up.The amp will be able to deliver more current and keep them better under control.So I wouldn't worry to much...if anything you're more likely to damage the speakers with an underpowered amp.

jjbomber

Emilius James Peire said:
I understand there was an SE version of the CD player but I dont believe there was ever an SE model of the amp.

Correct. The 8 may have been upgraded to the 9, which could be upgraded to the 10, which could be upgraded to the 10DAVE amp for surround sound with a 10P amp. It could be a genuine mistake by the seller or, if it's Fleabay, it's a conman!

The SE ranges of the Alpha family only refers to CD players. Once the DIVA range came into being they could upgrade your entry-level CDP (CD72 or 73) to the CD82 or 192. Think they originally charged around £400 per level for the upgrade, many, however, would plump for the 192 as it was the flagship model.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts