How are we going to adjust to DAB radio in cars, a dashboard top box or another solution if the government rush through the switch over

ibhallr

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
I've been looking at the options for the DAB switchover nothing good happening so far, looks like best option to change the machine not get a dash top box.

A

Anonymous

And, knowing of the impending switch over, why aren't car manufacturers supplying DAB radios NOW?

A

Anonymous

MartSmith:And, knowing of the impending switch over, why aren't car manufacturers supplying DAB radios NOW?

Car audio is always a couple of years behind. When a new type is made ready for production, the cost and specification of parts is fixed in contracts with suppliers. This includes car audio manufacturers. Car manufacturers have to do this to ensure the supply of parts and make sure the total cost of the car is kept in check. This means that the equipment in a car is set well before a car makes it to buyers, and it will remain unchanged for years.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As I'm currently sitting in a Land Rover showroom waiting to be relieved of the GNP of a small South American country for an annual service, I asked the question, and got directed to this site...

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:As I'm currently sitting in a Land Rover showroom waiting to be relieved of the GNP of a small South American country for an annual service, I asked the question, and got directed to this site...

Interesting...............

Looks as if DAB will be fitted to "top of the range" vehicles and as an optional extra for the masses............

Doesn't augur well for a massive take up of DAB does it..............?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I actually have a DAB radio in my Mini. It's pretty expensive as a factory-fitted option new, but it was one of the features I looked for on Autotrader when I was searching for a used vehicle.

Pros:

I listen to 5Live and the improvement over AM is vast - and I get Sports Extra.

R3 reception is terrible locally, so although it might not be the last word in hi-fi, it's great to have clarity and no hiss or whistling.

I can also listen to to 6 Music and other digital stations.

Leicester Tigers commentaries are normally only on Radio Leicester DAB (football on FM!)

Cons:

The radio interface is horrible and there aren't even any proper instructions. I had to look on the internet and find a Mini forum! The main problem comes when you try to switch between multiplexes. Unlike that being done for you (as in Pure radios), you have to do it yourself before you can get to another set of stations. The only solution is to grit your teeth and do it once, saving stations into the presets. Then, if you only use the presets, you don't have a problem!

In practice, I hardly ever use anything other than DAB, although the radio has AM and FM too. There are hardly any drop-outs and they occur in strange places like the roundabout coming out of Tesco for about 20 metres, so I can live with that!!!

A

Anonymous

its relativly cheap and easy to retrofit a DAB unit to a car, most units on the aftermarket are a standard size (DIN) and while most cars use a custom fascia to stop car radios getting stolen, if you take the standard radios out, most cars still have a DIN slot in the dashboard so its not so much of a challenge as youd think, all you will then need is a custom fascia to suit the car.

One thing that is easy to overlook though is the aerial, i fitted a DAB radio to my car 3 years ago and used the stick on antenna, it was great driving to work but awful coming home !!! in the end i ended up drilling the roof to fit a proper DAB antenna (i used to do this for a living but its not that hard if you follow simple rules) , this worked perfectly ... until the DAB unit died a month later !!!

Listening to 5 live on DAB is great so its well worth the effort

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
ashcorn:My wife has just got a new Mini and it came with DAB as standard.

A DAB built into a skirt ... whatever next
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts