Hoping to build a stonking home cinema

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I am building a home cinema based around a Samsung 48" Plasma.

I have already taken the first steps and purchased a Yamaha RXV 671 to be the hub of the system. I currently have it hooked up to a pair of Dali Lektor 1's in stereo, I'm frankly amazed at how good this thing sounds with music, it bodes really well for a full 5.1 Setup.

My room isnt big enough for a full sized speaker system and since I like minimalism have decided to go for a style system. On my shortlist is the Bowers and Wilkins MT50 Mini Theatre system, which ive heard excellent things about or the Dali Fazon 5.1.

I am going to buy the speakers over a number of months as funds allow. I am of course going to audition, but any thoughts on my shortlist would be appreciated. I have discounted Monitor Audio, just for info.

Many Thanks

Moon

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
This is my plan also, I've got a Marantz SR 7005 being delivered today to take place of my Sony 3500es. Next purchase will either be the Marantz UD 7006 or the rest of the 683 home theatre setup. Have to buy it in drips & drabs so the hardest thing is which piece to buy 1st :)

Bloody excited about today's delivery :-D

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
This is my plan also, I've got a Marantz SR 7005 being delivered today to take place of my Sony 3500es. Next purchase will either be the Marantz UD 7006 or the rest of the 683 home theatre setup. Have to buy it in drips & drabs so the hardest thing is which piece to buy 1st :)

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
atkins4725 said:

Hey Atkins,

The Marantz SR7005 looks like an absolute beast! >) What did you end up paying for it? Should drive those B & W nicely.

Let us know how the setup sounds.

Moon

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
£799 with free delivery and 7 days to return it if I'm not happy. Should be here between 1130 - 1230 :) Just got to decide what film to put on tonight :)

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
morning, and thanks very much for the response. Bigboss- upto about £1500 but not in one hit . Going to build it up over a few months.

The reasons for discounting the MA's were

1. The metal tweeters

2. I really like the Apex design, but way over budget and the Radius range .... well not sure about the styling, although BB you have integrated the system fantasticaly in your room.

Ok, well . i will audition the radius range alongside too. What were your thoughts on the B and W System when you auditioned them.?

Moon

edit : if the B and W system doesnt cut the mustard with music .... that could be a deal braker, as this quality is essential.

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Hey moon, we decided on Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and have Super 8 for tonight. I'm happy to say this Marantz will not be going back to Peter Tyson. Both sound and picture from last nights Blu ray film was just stunning, the difference was a million miles away from the Sony. I Expected the sound to be vastly improved over the sony and it was, MASSIVELY improved. I didn't expect the picture to change like it did, that was the real shocker.

An exceptional buy for £799.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
atkins4725 said:
etr

Hey moon, we decided on Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and have Super 8 for tonight. I'm happy to say this Marantz will not be going back to Peter Tyson. Both sound and picture from last nights Blu ray film was just stunning, the difference was a million miles away from the Sony. I Expected the sound to be vastly improved over the sony and it was, MASSIVELY improved. I didn't expect the picture to change like it did, that was the real shocker.

An exceptional buy for £799.

Great to hear everything went well with the new purchase! Lets face, it for 799 beer tokens the Marantz should deliver ... in spades.

Its fantastic to watch a great film in Dolby True HD, DTS Master .... e.t.c. Have fun re- watching some classics. Try something which has subtle sequences as well as all out action,

Stick on Millers Crossing or maybe even The Shawshank Redemption and see what you think. Films with fantastic atmosphere.

The B&W MT which I demoed was the older version. I just found the Radius HD to be more open & revealing than the B&W. It was definitely better with music to my ears. I must've spent around 2 hours just demoing music & comparing.

The newer B&W model which was released recently claims performance improvements over the older one. Worth a demo definitely. Most importantly, do not compromise on a subwoofer. This will make the maximum difference to the overall performance of your home cinema system.

So I would go for this (just because of the subwoofer):

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_r90hdav12.shtml

rather than this:

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_r90hd10.shtml

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts