Hooking up my cable–tv box. How’s it done?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My cable-tv box (Samsung DCB-S305G) brings digital pictures and sound to my living room. Well, it used to! Now I want to hook it up to my new Sony HT-SF1300 home-cinema system, my Sony RDR-HXD750B DVD-Recorder and to my new (arriving shortly) Sony KDL 32W4000 LCD Full-HD television.

The cable-tv provides a wide range of digital programmes, including some I pay a little extra for. The extra programmes normally have to be accessed via the cable-tv box, since they are not sent down the line like the others. They include BBC Prime and other English language channels.

The cable-tv box has two Scart connections and the RF (aerial) connection. It does not have an HDMI connection. My home cinema AV-receiver does not have Scart connections, only HDMI and an RF (aerial) input connection, which I believe is for radio broadcasts, but I may be wrong.

The DVD-Recorder has Scart connections and an HDMI output to the AV-receiver.

Question: which is the best way to hook this up to give the best possible picture and sound?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I would Scart from the cable box to the DVDR, then use that as an upscaler.

The only other way is to Scart directly to the TV, but you would then not get the audio. Does your TV have any audio out sockets other than the headphone? If so, you could plug them into your AV amp...

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for this advice FBSF,

I guess it will get me over the first hurdle, but then I have learned that the Sony TV has a card slot (or an adaptor to take my smartcard) for the digital cable channels I pay for, so I shall have to get the adaptor to fit the slot from my cable supplier Kabel Deutschland. Any info on this would be welcome too! the TV has a digital cable tuner as well as an analogue and a terrestrial tuner. So goes modernity!

Keep in touch, if you will . . . and thanks again.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I'm afraid that my knowledge is rather limited on the cable front, as I only use satellite and terrestrial digital. Sorry!
emotion-1.gif

All the best,

FBSF.

TRENDING THREADS