Home solution needed please help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I hope someone can help me with a few questions. We dont have much of a set up really we've just got a new Panasonic Viera 42" TV. In the bedroom we have a high quality computer with lots of music saved and on the hard drive lots of our copied CDs stored and some ITunes. We have SKY+HD and a Playstation 3. There are no speakers on the PC or in the living room so to listen to music we have to burn CDs and play them on the Playstation through the TV. Its not very good sound quality with little basse especially when in another room.

Burning the CDs is a pain so ive considered a portable hard drive so we can plug into the Playstation or a WIFI / Blutooth gadget to stream music from the PC to the TV. They seem ideal but not sure about quality loss.

To enhance the sound quality we need some better speakers. We want something descrete so have considered buying some surround sound speakers for the TV. What we really want though is something that will offer suround and music quality not just something optimised for film. Wires are a problem so something wireless would be good. Ideally we need to be able to play music in the computer room and the Living room at the same time.

So the questions are ---

- To stream from the PC what product do I use and does the soundcard want upgrading to improve quality?

- Should we buy a surround system or a descrete HIFI that will do both?

- What should we consider for wireless speakers? I was thinking ideally some kind of bass system in the living room and wireless speakers where else we needed them. [bedroom, computer bedroom, living room, kitchen] Also how expandable are these type of systems?

For budget im interested in hearing a few options - Rolls Royce [Unlimited spend], Very Good [£1000+], Good [£600-£1000] and affordable [up to £600]

I hope someone can help with this.

Thanks

Rob

A

Anonymous

If your planning on streaming music directly from the pc then afaik the sound card in the pc will have no impact on the quality whatsoever as you'll be sending music digitally to be decoded elsewhere.

Where the soundcard will make a difference is in the quality of the CD rip or if your using the analogue audio out. I cant see any reason in your situation you'd want to do this but i'm nowhere upto speed with multi room set ups.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Capri Boy

Im pleased you answered that one about the soundcard.

If anyone can help with the other questions that would be very useful.

Best Reagrds

A

Anonymous

Can I ask, do you have internet available in your front room?

If that is the case, streaming should be fairly easy from your pc to your PS3. Otherwise, you should have a look at something called 'homeplugs'.

A

Anonymous

Thanks this is great!

Ive searched and discovered the ps3 media server by google. Im going to try it out tomorrow, even if that one doesnt work we should be able to get another method to.

I just need to sort out the speakers now - Ive realised Panasonic do a great system coming out this month its the SC-HTB520 its designed for the Viera

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Home+Cinema/Speakers/SC-HTB520/Overview/7055731/index.html

Anyone had any experience with these systems? Or is there a better equivilant available you can suggest for the same or more money but better quality?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MME6S4/?tag=one2011-wp-20 they have it for $399 which is about £250 Not bad but im really interested in hearing about the alternatives from your experience up to £400. Thanks

A

Anonymous

It seems TVersity is even better - Ill post some instructions on here for others once ive worked it out..

TRENDING THREADS