Hissy Records

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to vinyl and recently purchased a second-hand Thorens TD 170-1 with an Ortofon OM 10 stylus. I know it's not the best turntable in the world and not the worst either but I'm getting hissy s's on the vocals when playing LPs. It only seems to be noticable on the vocals when prounancing an s if you catch my drift. Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? Could the needle need replacing?

I don't think it's the LPs as I've played brand new ones straight out of the shrink wrap and I get the same thing. Other than that the sound is great and I'm definately a vinyl convert. I think the sound is so much richer than MP3 and CDs.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Sounds very much like you're getting mistracking due to a dirty or worn stylus tip. If you still get this after you've carefully cleaned your tip then a new stylus or a new cartridge should fix it. I'm assuming that you've got downforce correctly set and haven't got too little downforce which would also cause this mistracking?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

This could get nasty chaps...

horlicks-001.jpg

Better lay in some supplies...

i8dcS0hAe6rg.jpg

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Down force, arm high, cartridge geometry, worn stylus, in that order? It could be a combination of the first three????

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
Down force, arm high, cartridge geometry, worn stylus, in that order? It could be a combination of the first three????

CJSF

Just for the fussy bu**ers, I have put it through the spell checker.

You all have a nice day . . . :type: