High mass, low mass

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I just read an interesting review (and measurements) of the new Project Genie Carbon in HifiNews.

It is based on a small, lower mass base/platter than some other entry level tables yet measured better than some more substantially more expensive Projects (and TT's from other manufacturers). The explanation was that apart from good engineering practice (the bearing quality/low through bearing noise was pointed out*), the low mass probably contributed to the results. The carbon wrapped aluminium arm was praised too.

An interesting concept although not new. Rega has exploited that very principle for a long time (though it seems more successful with its top tables where measurements are concerned).

Have to say that Genie looks good, quirky non-interchangeable arm (as far as I know) non-withstanding.

It would probably be my pick for an entry level deck.

*also the reason why heavy centre weights are (usually) probably not such a good idea unless your table uses magnetic bearing suspension. I use a lightweight aluminium clamp for some records instead.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
I just read an interesting review (and measurements) of the new Project Genie Carbon in HifiNews.

It is based on a small, lower mass base/platter than some other entry level tables yet measured better than some more substantially more expensive Projects (and TT's from other manufacturers). The explanation was that apart from good engineering practice (the bearing quality/low through bearing noise was pointed out*), the low mass probably contributed to the results. The carbon wrapped aluminium arm was praised too.

An interesting concept although not new. Rega has exploited that very principle for a long time (though it seems more successful with its top tables where measurements are concerned).

Have to say that Genie looks good, quirky non-interchangeable arm (as far as I know) non-withstanding.

It would probably be my pick for an entry level deck.

*also the reason why heavy centre weights are (usually) probably not such a good idea unless your table uses magnetic bearing suspension. I use a lightweight aluminium clamp for some records instead.

* Unless your TT is designed to use one. - E.g. SME.

Yes, I read that review too. Very interesting.

It only goes to show that we aren't yet done with knowing what makes some products better at replaying our music than others! Especially when you think what a miracle it is that LPs work at all, let alone can sound so good...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
Yes, I read that review too. Very interesting.

It only goes to show that we aren't yet done with knowing what makes some products better at replaying our music than others! Especially when you think what a miracle it is that LPs work at all, let alone can sound so good...

Indeed.

Since high quality, high mass engineering costs a lot of money in materials, manufacturing, packaging and despatch, this (low mass, cheap materials, high quality engineering) is the way forward imo, at least for entry level products.

I wonder how long before Rega replicates the skeleton plint chassis shape of it's top products in its lower end tables.

Since these cheaper tables also have no dust lid (bad) some money can be put into the necessery tighter tolerance engineering and bearing material quality ...

My Michell is their bottom-end model and my first tt without a lid. But the Perspex cover keep the important bits clean, but not the arm!

Was impressed at the engineering quality compared with the under £1000 Regas, as no big main bearing nuts on show, for example. Relatively light weight too, and happy with results (I previously owned Dual and Linn). Still think the TecnoDec is bit of a sleeper!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts