high def sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
A question for all of you on high def sound.

I want to buy a Panasonic DMP-BD50 and plug it into my Denon AVR 1905 so that I will receive high def sound. Saving me the expensive of buying a new amp.

1, Will this work

2, What leads do I use to get the high def sound to work through my amp.

Many thanks

Middy

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
1. Yes it should work

2. You need to connect the 5.1/7.1 analog outputs from the back of the deck to the analog inputs on the back of the amp (check your instruction manual if you have it) with some decent quality phono leads. Then set your player to output sound as Linear PCM instead of bitstream in the sound options.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks,

Have now found the manual and i do have the analog in puts on the amp, so looks like all is well.cross fingers

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Cool. And by all accounts, the BD50 has excellent built in decoders for the Hi-Def codecs so you won't be missing out and you should be able to get a good few more years out of your amp.

A

Anonymous

Yes, it should work - but you may want to do the sums on cost to see if it's the best option. If you're planning to use high quality interconnects, and if the only reason you're going for the BD50 is the high def decoding ( as opposed to the networking features ), then you may end up spending about half (or more) of the cost of a new amp doing it that way - the BD50 is about 150 more than the BD30, and interconnects could run around 135 to 200 for 6 or 8 phono leads. Still cheaper than a new Denon AVR 1909 at 450 that could do the decoding internally and connect to a BD30 via just an HDMI, but maybe not as much cheaper as it looks at first glance :)

A

Anonymous

Hi

I will need to buy 2 sets of interconnects from my new BD50 player plus my Sony SACD player into a Zektor multi-channel audio switcher and from there one set into my sound processor - very short run indeed, so do you have some suggestions as to what to get without breaking the bank but obviously of a really good quality? Thanks.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
The Chord Crimsons come highly recommended and you can get them in 0.5m lengths if you're after a really short run. I managed to get a pair on eBay recently for just under £25 and I can concur with the recommendations. There are definitely bargains to be had if you shop around or don't mind buying second-hand or ex-demo.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the recommendations - I will definitely follow up.

A

Anonymous

Hi JerryC,

Many thanks for that info. I did'nt think the connectors would cost that much money!?

I have found the BD50 £359.99 and the BD30 £299.99 a difference of just £50.00

Regards

Middy

A

Anonymous

That's a great price for the BD-50 - I paid £379 + delivery of £8 which I thought was pretty good given that the advertised price seemed to be well over £400. Where did you buy?

A

Anonymous

middy:

Many thanks for that info. I did'nt think the connectors would cost that much money!?

Depends what you go for - I think high quality leads like the Atlas Equator ones (I've probably got the name wrong) run somewhere around £45 for 2 x 1m ones, so six (for 5.1) would run around £135; probably about half that for not-so-good ones, and much less (20-30 total ?) for generic ones. On the other hand, I just picked up two sets of RGB component cables (which also gives you a total of six phono leads, though I've no idea what they're like for audio) for a total of £7.98 - so there's obviously a huge price range. On the other hand, there's little point having HD sound and then spoiling it by going too cheap on the interconnects - but needing six or eight of them can push the total up.

middy:

I have found the BD50 £359.99 and the BD30 £299.99 a difference of just £50.00

At that price I'd probably go for the BD50 - that's not much more than I paid for my BD30 a while back :)

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Jerry to a point. I'd definitely get decent cable for the front channels, maybe spend up to £30-40 quid a pair max. But I wouldn't initially spend that kind of money for the rear channels and the Sub as they're not utilised to the same extent. I'd just get some decent, well-built budget cable for those. You can always swap them around to see if you notice a big difference and then you can decide if you want to splash out for the rear channels too.

A

Anonymous

At Empire direct.co.uk just type it into the search and enter, P & P £4.99

A

Anonymous

Collectus:That's a great price for the BD-50 - I paid £379 + delivery of £8 which I thought was pretty good given that the advertised price seemed to be well over £400. Where did you buy?

I paid £399 for my BD-5O delivered next day and its multi region for the dvd player , not blu ray though. The kids have quite a few American films that were so much cheaper a couple of years ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts