hi i have a experience filteration mains lead, which fuse do i need

stiffbuy1

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
hi, i have a experience filteration mains lead, does anyone know the correct fuse to put in the mains plug as i bought it second hand and there was no fuse inside the plug , thank you for any information

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Any fuse as long as it's the same rating as the old one.

In spite of Russ Andrews' suggestions a fuse is simply a piece of wire inside a sand filled tube. They all sound the same

13 amp is the most common in the U.K. but that's enough for a kettle or electric fire. Few Hi-Fi items even exceed 3 or 5 amps, except powerful amps, or those that surge on switch on.

If you are feeding a CD player or turntable, for example, then 3 amps is plenty.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
RA fit 13 amp fuses to all their leads (I know I just brought another one) and I have used them on many different audio/video components with no problems.

*music2*

Gray

nopiano said:
13 amp is the most common in the U.K. but that's enough for a kettle or electric fire. Few Hi-Fi items even exceed 3 or 5 amps, except powerful amps, or those that surge on switch on.

If you are feeding a CD player or turntable, for example, then 3 amps is plenty.

Yes indeed, and I myself always use the lowest value fuse for the job but with these 'speciallist' mains leads normal logic doesn't always apply does it? As I said, the original lead was fitted with a 13A fuse. When they use especially thick cable (In the case of RA Kimber weave, 3x normal twisted together!) - they deliberately fit 13A fuses when lower would usually suffice, (don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger but the theory I think they put forward is that a lower fuse somehow negates the (already questionable) benefits of the thicker than necessary cable - Normal logic tells us of course that under non fault conditions, a lower rated fuse can only be a disadvantage to sound quality if it blows!)

So a 13A was probably originally fitted (for a 'reason') but 3A or 5A is all you need. As a poster recently pointed out though, with these detachable leads, the fuse is there to protect the lead not the connected device, which usually has its own protection.

macdiddy said:
RA fit 13 amp fuses to all their leads (I know I just brought another one) and I have used them on many different audio/video components with no problems.

*music2*
Me too! I only wanted to highlight the rating issue for any other readers as so few folks seem to understand fuses these days. I must try a lower rated fuse to see if my wires sound "strangled"!

iMark

I'm sure there are benefits to system you use in the UK. I quite like the on/off switches on sockets. But faffing about with fuses in plugs is not convenient at all. All our electrical system have a 16 amp limit, so no need for fused plugs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I believe the fuse in the plug is about protecting the mains cable itself, as the equipment to which it's attached should have its own fuse protection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts