hi guys,,,i really could use your expertise

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i'm looking for integrated amp under £2500

i'm going to connect it to my per of speakers B&W CM5 and to my MUSICAL FIDELITY M1 DAC.

my main kind of music is pop.

i'll be more than happy to get your suggestions

thanks

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
mulimen said:
i'm looking for integrated amp under £2500

i'm going to connect it to my per of speakers B&W CM5 and to my MUSICAL FIDELITY M1 DAC.

my main kind of music is pop.

i'll be more than happy to get your suggestions

thanks

maybe try a new style of music as well :dance: only joking,sorry..nothing wrong with pop,just not my cup of tea..for that money should be some serious kit.i have an arcam fmj a28,great amp,although not for my music(heavy),but will be a good choice imo for you.plenty of people specializing in the top end of the market :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest these:

Musical Fidelity M6i ( a little over budget, but should get up to 10% off, if bargain)

Electrocompaniet ECI-3 / ECI-5 (ex-dem)

Sugden A21SE / Mystro

Audio Analogue Maestro Settanta Rev 2 (a little over budget)

A

Anonymous

3 month ago i tested the MUSICAL FIDELITY M6i...it was quite good but than i starting to think it's not really worthy the money..

i felt that way because i didn't really excited about it's overoll sound...

3 days ago i read some articles about LAVARDIN IS REFERENCE and also WHATHIFI's review really like this amp because it has a unique technology.

i guess i'm looking for something unusual. can it be a good match to my system?

is it really unique and good has the reviews write?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Think you've got things a bit upside down, mate! Why buy such an expensive amp when your speakers are not of the same quality?

Spend £2500 on some new speakers, and buy an amp at the £1000 mark, or get something like a Brio or a NAD 326 for your current speakers.

I'm not surprised by your comments about the MF amp, the problem is your speakers can't do it justice.

A

Anonymous

you're probably right and i kind worried someone will say this words but i'm guessing it's the true..my system is not the same level as M6i or LAVARDIN.

i actually been planning and doing my homework good as i can to be prepare for this moment...so my second choice is NAIM NAIT 5I

i really want your opinion...

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Heavily biased here. Had one driving my Magnepans - fine amp. You do need to audition, though - I'd try the Naim, the Brio, the NAD 326BEE and the Pioneer A-30.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mulimen said:
3 month ago i tested the MUSICAL FIDELITY M6i...it was quite good but than i starting to think it's not really worthy the money..

3 days ago i read some articles about LAVARDIN IS REFERENCE and also WHATHIFI's review really like this amp because it has a unique technology.

The Lavardin is a superbly musical amp with few frills (like a remote). IMO. It needs speakers that are reasonably easy to drive (like Living Voice), as it doesn't have masses of current on tap as the impedance drops. You would need to try it with your CM5s (88dB Sensitivity / 3.7 Ohm min Impedance). The Lavardin IS is within your budget and has similar power, but is not as good as the IS Ref. There is also the problem that the amps really come alive with Lavardin's own very expensive speaker cable.

If you weren't that impressed with the MF, you should also try the Sugdens or Electros.

Amps really can sound very different, so do try and find what works with your system.

mulimen said:
you're probably right and i kind worried someone will say this words but i'm guessing it's the true..my system is not the same level as M6i or LAVARDIN.

i actually been planning and doing my homework good as i can to be prepare for this moment...so my second choice is NAIM NAIT 5I

i really want your opinion...

Concur - spending that sort of money on a £500 pair of speakers is a waste. For the B&W look at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Creek-Evolution-5350-Amplifier-NEW-/160944040611?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2579032aa3

Or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-III-Integrated-Amplifier-EX-DISPLAY-/300734267857?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item460528c1d1

Or Rotel RA-1520

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

It depends on the OP's future plans.....it was his suggested budget. Cheaper speakers often have far more potential than people realize, though saying that, on balance I probably agree.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

It depends on the OP's future plans.....it was his suggested budget. Cheaper speakers often have far more potential than people realize, though saying that, on balance I probably agree.

Given he currently has the CM5s, and if he upgrades to £1500 speaker (or even 2k), these amps should cope nicely. I suppose it's a safe compromise, and less than half the price of a entry-level Lavardin. It should cover all options.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Given he currently has the CM5s, and if he upgrades to £1500 speaker (or even 2k), these amps should cope nicely. I suppose it's a safe compromise, and less than half the price of a entry-level Lavardin. It should cover all options.

The only downside is buying blind.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

The only downside is buying blind.

Very true, certainly a practise I don't encourage. However, given the Creek is around half the normal price and the Leema is about 40% off the normal retail price, it may just worth a gamble.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Very true, certainly a practise I don't encourage. However, given the Creek is around half the normal price and the Leema is about 40% off the normal retail price, it may just worth a gamble.

This is always a difficult decision to make re - Do I take a small risk getting a "good" amp at a very tempting price vs Going out there and getting exactly what I want, be it at a cost.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Think you've got things a bit upside down, mate! Why buy such an expensive amp when your speakers are not of the same quality?

Spend £2500 on some new speakers, and buy an amp at the £1000 mark, or get something like a Brio or a NAD 326 for your current speakers.

I'm not surprised by your comments about the MF amp, the problem is your speakers can't do it justice.
I would agree with Mr.lemon here, the MF amp does sound amazing and so do all the recommendations here but I don't know if they would be an ideal match for your BnWs....my audition of the speakers left me cold, I just couldn't connect to the music. Sorry to confuse you but I would actually recommend a change in speakers if you are spending that much on an amp.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys...

first of all i want to thank you all about your honesty.

now ,lets talk business..

i know and also agree with you that the CM5 speakers is not the best out there...sure..if i want to achieve glorious sound ,i must replece my cm5 in something else but what can i say...i mean..men ,i just love them...in the minute i'v heard them i knew that they going to be mine..

the true is that i tested 2-3 pair of floor speakers (twice as expensive) at the time ,and i felt that the differences is minors..

i don't know..maybe i don't have musical sense..or maybe i didn't heard the right speakers yet ,but you know what?..i think i don't want to because i'm very satisfied with my choice..i really am..and i think...in this area...the less i know what there is out there..the more i'll be satisfied..otherwise i'll allways be restless.

about my future choice...i don't have the aswer yet but you all have helped me so thank you.

by the way..my curiosity is bugging me so i must ask...what are you all prefer...lavardin is reference or musical fidelity m6i ?

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi I have the m6i and I am sure with different speakers you would enjoy your music I would recommend kef r300 or r 500 as they work well with the m6i good luck in your search as others suggest its allways best to listen before buying if you can:) :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mulimen said:
by the way..my curiosity is bugging me so i must ask...what are you all prefer...lavardin is reference or musical fidelity m6i ?

This is hifi, so the answer is not straight forward, so it depends on:

- The speakers.....with are certain speakers I would prefer the M6i and vica versa. The MF is considerably more powerful.

- The facilities....the M6i has HT bypass, so is easier integrated into a HT system, and it has a remote control.

- The Lavardin needs its own very expensive speaker cable to really show what it can do, which then leaves it competing with amps that I prefer

- With it's own cables and matched to the right speaker, I would prefer the Lavardin

- At that sort of money I would probably take the Sugden, closely followed by the Electrocompaniet

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
mulimen said:

back in the sping, I heard the M6i along with Naim's Supernait & Primare's I32 integrated. The MF sounded too laid back for my tastes. The Nait sounded pretty good - lively & engaging. The Primare was the wildcard. It sounded as dynamic as the Naim but with much more detail. It's a class D amp that many folks are wary of but the Primare also has tremendous build quality & looks as well as great sound with no harshness.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

This is always a difficult decision to make re - Do I take a small risk getting a "good" amp at a very tempting price vs Going out there and getting exactly what I want, be it at a cost.

Spot on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts