Hi-Fi Virgin

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have always hankered after a set of hi-fi seperates and am now looking to make the leap. I ideally would like to buy something that is made in Britain (don't ask, that's another topic). My budget can stretch to £1500, I listen to anything from Radiohead, Nick Drake, Craig Armstrong, The Foo Fighter to a bit of classical aswell as the odd talking book. My listening room is a pretty average square living room with the usual furniture in. I was also thinking about mayber hooking up my TV and Freeview to the amp, but that's not so important. I am not bothered about a remote or functions, just sound quality. I have been considering a Rega Apollo CD with Rega Brio 3 Amp and either a pair of KEF IQ5SE's or Rega RS-1's. The set-up has to include speaker stands, interconnects and (maybe) equipment rack. Can anyone offer me any advice?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No remote? Your choice but decent s/q doesn't have to come at the expense of a little convenience. Some features you may be glad to have in the future are a pre- or sub out. I'd skip the rack at this stage and put the money in the system. Perhaps also consider a DAC instead of a cd player if you have a dvd or BR player, more versatile. Good luck

A

Anonymous

What about an active system either with or without built in pre/dac.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Rega is a good shout, so is Arcam, so is NAD, so is Cambridge Audio. Visit a dealer and see what you like the most. If you are going to have it for years then it's worth listening before purchasing.

Most amps will hook up to the TV, you will just need an extra cable.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reccomendations. If I were to go down the Rega route, would you go for any of the speakers I mentioned, or something else?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
sedish chef:Thanks for the reccomendations. If I were to go down the Rega route, would you go for any of the speakers I mentioned, or something else?

Usher S520 or one of Rega's own.

A

Anonymous

So if I go for Tega Apollo CD, Rega Brio 3 amp and Rega RS1 speakers I'm on to a good thing?

One thing that I am trying to work out is what items to spend more money on. The CD player is higher in price than the amplifier and speakers. Would it not be wiser to spend more on the amplifier then more on the speakers, so getting the best out of each component, or is there no hard and fast rule?

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
sedish chef:made in Britain... £1500... hooking up my TV and Freeview
Not made in Britain, but for some British Hi-Fi Heritage how about: Quad 99 CDP-2 > Quad 11L Active
It's pushing your budget, however, with the Elite Series around the corner there should be some bargains from the 99 Series. And you can connect your TV and Freeview to the Digital Inputs.

Or, for a mix of British made and British Hi-Fi: Beresford Caiman+ > Quad 11L Active
You can hook up your TV, Freeview and DVD/BD Player for a simple and much cheaper setup.

Or, if you're willing to stretch to European made: XTZ Class-A100D3 > XTZ 99.26
They only sell direct but offer a home trial. And they sell cables and stands too. The amplifier has five digital inputs (one Optical and four Coaxial).

The digital section uses the same DAC as the CA 840C and Benchmark DAC1. The amplifier section has 100W of Class A and 220W of Class A/B power (switchable on the fly) and 62 Amps current capacity.

Happy Hunting.

A

Anonymous

Thanks AL13N

You've opened a new door there with the active speakers. It simplifies things if I were looking to hook up the TV/Freeview and Blue Ray. I appreiate you giving me a breakdown of options if I were to consider further afield.

Got a lot to mull over. As always any additional advice is welcome. It's took me this long so why rush.

Thanks to everyone.

PS If Claire Newsome would like to add an opinion I would appreciate it very much.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Another slightly different option could be the avi neutron 5 2.1 system. British company (although I think construction may be elsewhere) an active sub with a good dac and lots of digital inputs for tv freeview and all you need is a universal spinner of some kind. I cam vouch for the sound of the speakers with the type of music you mention as they are similar to my own tastes. I have not heard the sub though but would imagine it would be just as good if not better than my current setup as they were made to go together.

T

the record spot

sedish chef:
Thanks AL13N

You've opened a new door there with the active speakers. It simplifies things if I were looking to hook up the TV/Freeview and Blue Ray. I appreiate you giving me a breakdown of options if I were to consider further afield.

Got a lot to mull over. As always any additional advice is welcome. It's took me this long so why rush.

Thanks to everyone.

PS If Claire Newsome would like to add an opinion I would appreciate it very much.

If you're looking at amps and speakers in that price range, you could reasonably add a pair of Genelec 8030A which are about £800 a pair. Very impressive little active speaker that delivers a deeply satisfying sound. Ignore the "studio" monitor tag, these will work very well in the home too. Just check it IS the 8030 and not the 8020 - can't recall the right number offhand, but they are around the £800 mark. Heard them twice in recent months and really enjoyed their presentation.

TRENDING THREADS