Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello, i am in need of some advice..

i have recently purchased the pro-ject 1 expression carbon turntable with 2m- silver cartridge..

now i am having a serious headache on what amp and speakers to choose and need some assistance..

I have the chance to get used but good condition Rotel Ra04SE with Eltax Mirage 10i speaker..

or Yamaha A-S500 amp

or it would make sense buying a pre-amp and conecting through the line in to my sterio (LG FA166DAB)

My bigest concern is loosing audio quality, but at the same time i have a limited budget right now (max £200), so if you have any advice on this concern then i would be very happy to hear that.. any other used/new amps/speakers could do too..

thanks Ed

With your modest budget I would consider spending it all on an amp with a decent phono preamp stage, and then get speakers when funds allow. Of course, I'm assuming you have either headphones or old speakers available.

A discounted Marantz would be a safe bet, but Yamaha, Rotel and Pioneer offer alternatives. Also, if you might need to use a computer as a source, the NAD 3020 is worth checking out, though it is double your budget at full price, but exdem models might be around.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Hallo Ed,

I think you should get rid of the LG for the following reasons. In the first place, your turntable deserves a serious amplifier, which the LG is not. In the second place, the LG doesn 't have a phono stage. Therefore you should invest in a good amplifier and a nice set of loudspeakers. The Rotel you mentioned is a fine amp. Unfortunately it doesn't have a remote control. The RA-05 does have one. I don't know the Eltax Mirage speakers. The AS500 well regarded, but sounds quite different compared to the Rotel. I think you would benefit from finding out which sound character you are looking for before buying just any amp an speakers. You can make a start by researching on internet which amp and speaker combo goes well with your turntable. When you find a combo that appeals to you you should try to audition. I hope I have pointed you in the right direction.

With regards Peter

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It all rather depends what is available in your local market.

If you were in the uk, which I suspect you are not, a trip to Richers for a Denon 520 and a pair of Daiamond 9s or Mercurys would get you a perfectly serviceable system, within budget too.

Live with it for a while then upgrade piece by piece as you see fit. In an analogue setup, best to start at the front.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hybridauth_facebook_100000505880081 said:
well i am currently living in the UK and i found the amp you stated on amazon for £150, and that’s all right, which make of mercury speakers you would recommend?

If you are in the UK see how close the nearest Richer Sounds are to you, they are currently selling the Denon PMA520, instore, for just £120. They have Wharfdale Diamond 9s at £60, Tannoy Mercury V1s for £80 and several other choices well under £100.

Go visit, tell them you want the amp and get them to play you two or three of their speakers, including the two I mention. Buy the setup that sounds best to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts