Hi-Fi Newbie looking for amplifier advice

Hello all,

Here's my situation: I have a new house, and I have been given a set of nice quality speakers by my dad, who is himself something of an audiophile. My primary music collection is on iTunes on my PC, stored portably on my iPad 3rd gen (retina). I am looking for an amp that will serve my purpose of playing my iPad music collection through my nice speakers.

My budget is probably max £300, but I'd rather go cheaper if possible. I'm a little confused by all the different things: bluetooth sounds good, what is an iPod dock, and does it work for iPads? Will a standard 3.5mm to RCA cable do the job? I've had success with that on my dad's amp at home, but is that the best way to get the highest possible quality from my digital collections?

So far, I've considered the following:

- Fatman mi-Tube 2

- Yamaha as500

- Mistral DT-307a

As far as I can understand it, these would all have me covered: the Fatman uses Bluetooth, the Yamaha has an RCA line-in (and is a good price), and the Mistral, I'm not sure what it has but I believe it accepts portable devices.

The problem is, because I don't have a great knowledge of hi-fis, I don't want to spend a lot of money, only to find either it won't work, or the method I use is of a low quality, when a higher quality alternative is available.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
hybridauth_google_108793372940015303007 said:
My primary music collection is on iTunes on my PC, stored portably on my iPad 3rd gen (retina). I am looking for an amp that will serve my purpose of playing my iPad music collection through my nice speakers.

My budget is probably max £300, but I'd rather go cheaper if possible.

Any ideas?

An Apple Airport Express connected to a Behringer A500 amplifier by one of THESE.

Connect the speakers to the amp with THESE.

The amp may look a bit functional and it is, very functional in fact and will grip pretty much any speaker you care to throw at it. At the price, nothing in the hifi world will touch it. The Airport Express will allow you the freedom to play your music without actual physical connection to the system and sounds great.

The connectors simply do their job and no amount extra spent on them is going to improve on what they do.

So in essence, exactly what you need and under budget to boot.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't really understand what the Apple Airport Express does. The description talks more about network manageament than music, although it does mention AirPlay. Am I rigtht in thinking the iPad would wirelessly stream the music to the Airport Express, which is then connected to the Amplifier?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I don't really understand what the Apple Airport Express does. The description talks more about network manageament than music, although it does mention AirPlay. Am I rigtht in thinking the iPad would wirelessly stream the music to the Airport Express, which is then connected to the Amplifier?

That is correct.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Just looking at the back of the Behringer, I can't see which inputs I would connect the Airport Express to? Also, does the Airport Express need to be connected to a phone point with Ethernet cable? My hifi setup would not be near one.

The Airport Express does not need an ethernet connection. It will plug into the sockets either side at the back of the amp, one left input and the other right. The choices are RCA/phono at the top, TRS 1/4 jack in the middle and XLR balanced at the bottom.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts