Help with the hum in my Vintage HiFi

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I inherited a Grundig Majestic HiFi in fantastic condition. The original turntable is long gone but a dropped in BSR unit was there for a while. When I set up the system as the center of my living room I decided it was time to get this thing pumping some LPs. Sadly the turntable that was in there was seized and the table wouldn’t rotate. I went off in search of a replacement of similar make and model and installed it the best way I could. I didn’t want to tinker too much. In the end I have a working record player with a horrible high frequency sound humming alongside the music.

Images of the original player and its wiring, and then the current are in this dropbox. Also a video of the hum.

You will note that the 'original' turntable was powered by the console. I feared messing with the console power to a new or foreign turntable, so I am using the 'new' turntables original power cables straight to the wall. I do not have the ground going anywhere either, so I assume that can be part of the problem too.

Unsure if a pre-amp is needed here, or what else I may have messed up, but I appreciate any guidance!!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wyzj75ck1pd7ark/AABeZlZJSlld0hrvdUI4vVnPa?dl=0

Mr Giblets

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi , and welcome.

I am sure someone will be along to help , but have you tried fastening the ground wire to the metal casing of the amp, and seeing if the hum gets any better ??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts