Help with speakers on new wood floor

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently had wood floor installed in my lounge.

I've got a Cyrus 7 amp and CD7 cd player, and a pair of Mission 782 floor standers. I've had these for a few years now.

Anyhow, now the carpet is gone, all sounds a bit odd. Not bad, but not as good as it did. Treble is a bit too pronounced, although still very detailed, and bass seems rather overpowering and woolly. Midrange seems diminished.

The speakers were on spikes but are now on some cork mats without their spikes.

Anyone got any good ideas? I'd rather not replace the speakers, but if I absolutely have to, what would be a good match?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Get eight shiny 2p coins (soak overnight in cola to make them look nice)

Get eight 2p sized self-adhesive felt discs (the sort that go on the bottom of table legs).

Get your centre-punch and hammer and indent the centre of each coin. (Gives somewhere for your floor-spikes to rest without sliding around on the coins)

Stick a felt disc to the back of each 2p coin and arrange on the floor under the spikes.

A

Anonymous

I used to find that the our floating floor wasn't quite even so I took a slightly different approach. I bought two Tesco granite placemats and a set of spike shoes (you could use Chebby's idea of coins). I white tacked the placements into position on the floor and set the stands on top of them using the spike shoes. Cleaned everything up no end.

If you can get rid of reflective surfaces then you'll help the acoustics. I would also experiment with speaker toe-in. If the speakers are toed in towards the listening spot you will find that the tweeters facing you could make it sound brighter. Hence, having them squared off may reduce brightness.

A

Anonymous

Very true Chebby. I didn't like the look of coins on my floor but each to their own.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I spike straight onto concrete so I don't have to use either solution but the 2p coins were just an idea for those people with nice exposed wood floors who don't have £25 for Atacama discs or £25,000 for a Russ Andrews solution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts