Help with Onkyo 605 connectivity

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am new to modern systems having just replaced my 6 year old Sony Trinitron and home cinema in a box.

I now have a Panasonic 42 PX70 and have just bought a PS3 and an Onkyo 605 with Kef 205 speakers. I also have a BT V Box which I have connected to the 605 with a QED HDMI lead and also the PS3 and have allocated the HDMI locations 1 & 2.

My problem is that whilst I am able to view and hear the PS3 and V box I can't get the TV to output sound from its own tuner to the surround speakers. It is connected with AV leads to the 605 TV audio in. I am obviously missing something simple and obvious - but what? Any help would be appreciated. Also all sound out from the PS3 seems to be PCM - is that correct?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Is the receiver set to accept analogue input on the TV audio input, and do you have a standard stereo analogue pair connecting TV to that input? You may have to go into input assign and check the set-up.

And yes, sound from the PS3 should be in PCM.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I'm still very much a "virgin" with the 605 but do you mean go into the TV's audio assign as I was not aware there was an audio assign on the 605 other than the HDMI which I had already allocated. The leads I am using are Profigold AV leads.

Sorry to be so inept!!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help Andrew - I followed your advice and the sound is now coming out perfectly - easy when you know how!!!

Thanks again.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Glad we could help, and can't wait to get my new widescreen computer monitor so I can have several manuals open on screen at once while on these forums!

The answer is usually to be found in the manual somewhere, but some manufacturers do a better job than others of hiding the relevant information...

emotion-12.gif

And at the risk of rousing the ire of some, I have to say that one company with exemplary set-up manuals is Bose.

A good clear 'quick set-up guide' is the first thing you see when you open the box, and systems tend to come with a set-up disc that walks you through the rest of the procedure.

Other manufacturers would do well to follow suit, and think of all the trees and fuel they'd save not shipping heavy, printed instruction manuals around the world with products. Ship a thousand AV receivers, and you're probably shipping the better part of a tonne of paper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts