Help with a new system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,

Just joined the forum to get some advises from all the experts here. We're in the process of purchasing a stereo HiFi unit for our bedroom, for the amp and cd players, I was thinking of either pairing the Cambridge Audio 650A with the 650C or the NAD C3555BEE with the NAD C565BEE, along with a pair of B&W 685s. When I went down to a local CA dealer to demo the amp and CD players, they didn't have the units that I wanted, but instead he hooked up a CA 840AV2 and CA 840C (both way out of my price range) driving a pair of Rega RS3s (because they were not a dealer of B&Ws and suggested the Rega). They sounded wonderful. He offered me a package deal of the Cambridge Audio 650A, 650C (which he had to special order), the Rega RS3 with a set of $200 speaker cables (no idea what brand they were) for $2500 USD (approx. 1600 Britsh Pounds). Now I have a few questions:

1) The dealer claimed it'll sound just as good when I pair the Regas RS3 with the 650A & 650C, which cost alot less than the units that I auditioned. Is this true?

2) How will the Rega RS3 sound compare to the B&W 685 that I had in mind originally when paired with the Cambridge Audio or the NAD units? I understand the the Rega RS3 cost more and in a different class of speakers.

3) Is the $2500 USD deal that they offered a good deal? Personally I haven't heard of the Rega brand (sorry I'm a noob at this HiFi stuff) until after the demo and I started doing some research online but still unable to found that much info/reviews about those speakers. $2500 USD is really stretching my budget and would like to stay close to $2000 (approx. 1300 British Pounds), which is why I choose the B&Ws

4) With the limited HiFi stores here locally (and I mean REALLY limited) I haven't had a chance to audition any of the items that I've put together on the list above, so I'm really relying on online/magazine reviews and people's personal experience with their system. Do you think that I should stick with my B&W 685? If so, would you recommend to pair those with the Cambridge Audio units or NAD?

This will be going into a bedroom size of approx. 12 x 11. Types of music I listen to includes Vocals like Hayley Westenra, Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, Sarah Mclachlan, some alternative such as Coldplay, a little of Staind, and quite a bit of easy listening such as Taylor Swift, Kari Kimmel, Priscilla Ahn....etc. Please keep in mind that I'm really trying to run just a two speaker setup without a subwoofer due to lack of space.

Thanks to everyone in advance !!! You opinions are much appreciated !!!!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
From the above list IMO you'd be best going with the likes of the NAD C355BEE integrated amp, the C/A 650C CDP and either the B&W 685's on decent stands or the Rega RS3's

I think for your tastes in music the Rega RS3's would be superb speakers although I wouldnt agree theyre in a different class to the B&W 685's as both are superb speakers BUT with different soundstages and tonality

The C/A amps are good but they can sound thin and clinical at times and partner this with your music I feel it'd be fairly harsh and cold sounding.

If you can the Marantz CD6003 CDP would be well worth considering over the C/A CDP and again pair this with the NAD 355BEE amp and either of the speakers and you'd have a great system.

The NAD amp is fairly powerful with bags of power but it's not as bass-full as some people makie it out to be (it isnt as bassy as the NAD C326BEE) but the bass is still very powerful and taut with well timed midrange and crisp, clear treble
emotion-1.gif

If you wanted to stick with the BAW 685's then get the NAD C355BEE and see if you can demo the Marantz CDP

A

Anonymous

Thanks d_a_n1979 for your input. But is it better to pair your amp with a CDP from the same brand? Like paring the Marantz CD6003 with the Marantz PM6003 or the NAD C326BEE with the NAD C545BEE? But yes I will definitely look into the Marantz system that you've mentioned. Thanks again !!!

T

the record spot

Are you US based? If so, *** over to the Steve Hoffman forum, there's a bunch of guys over there who know more about the US product range than you'll get here (mostly UK based). I suspect you'd get a good range of speakers in the US that will be the equal of the Regas and thus cost you substantially less, discounting the importing costs consequently. GMA, Paradigm, Dere, JBL, Klipsch and I think Infinity. Worth a check on some US possibly. Rega will have a US dealership for sure, but if you can get the performance you like for less, then worth looking at your options I think.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for their inputs !!! Yes I'm from Hawaii, United States. As you know we're on an island in the middle of the Pacific so selections here locally are limited. I've had a few other speakers before, a few Polk Audio bookselfs and floorstanders, auditioned a pair of B&W long time ago (forgot what model they were) and liked it, but ended up with a pair of Mordaunt Short Avant 902i, loved it then finally got myself a pair of MS Avant 906i soon after. Needless to say those sounded great as well. So now it's time for my bedroom setup I wanted to stay with European gears.

A

Anonymous

Okay, updates. Just spoke to the only NAD dealer on the island, said that he won't be bringing in anymore NAD products, he didn't go into details just told me it was a long story. Also checked with another dealer that carries Marantz gears, and was told that the highly rated PM 6003 and CD 6003 is not listed for the US market, instead they're replaced with PM5004 and CD 5004. How are these two compared to the Cambridge Audio gears that i've mentioned? I guess in worst case scenario I might have to order online but I preferred to make purchase locally.

On the side note i've got a chance to demo the B&W MM-1 multimedia speakers at a local Apple store today, terrific speakers, the bass from those little speakers are beyond my expectations (unlike my Bose it needs a sub which my wife hates because it takes up space) and the vocals are just amazing. Not to mention the good looks of those speakers. Really thinking about replacing my Bose Companion 3 with those MM-1.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts