Help with a new set-up!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Guys,I've read some really interesting and helpful topics on here...I was hoping that I could get some feedback that is specific to what I'm looking to do. I'm trying to decide on the following: What type of computer to go with? What standard I should rip to? What type of software player I should use? What type of backup or NAS to get and what type of portable player to get? Here's where I am so far....1. I need a new computer. I have a work machine which is a Thinkpad but my home computer is toast so I have a clean slate there. I was initially thinking about going Mac but I've think I've since been discouraged. I've heard that iTunes is really limiting in the structural organization of much like iPhoto is but I don't know if this is true. I'd like something relatively small, fast and I hate to say it....cool looking. I really like the Dell and HP slim-lines. Thoughts?2. As far as standards, here's what I'm working with. I have about 600 CDs to rip. I think I have settled on EAC as my ripper and that is as far as I've gotten. My priorities are archival first and portability second. There is something very attractive about a lossless format. I do know that I'd like to NEVER have to rip again...ever. I should also mention...along the same lines of not re-ripping down the road...the "future" of the format is big for me. MP3 at 320 was recommended to me. I'm not an audiophile and I know I couldn't tell the difference but again, I like the idea of being able to put away my CDs permanently and have a perfect collection. Also, I don't intend to buy music off the web since I have a lot of CDs and so do my friends. I really do want a true, archival or library of music that is either perfect or almost perfect. I know the stuff off of iTunes is pretty far from it. I don’t know if that changes your advice but I thought it might be relevant. That said, I do intend to move some if it to a player so do I need two copies...large and small files? urgh....this is confusing!!!3. I don't really think the SW player is a big deal. WinAmp seems like a good choice.4. I know almost nothing about storage. I don't know how much space I'll need for 600+ CDs. I would ideally like to keep a copy on my new computer and then back up to a NAS. I also would like a multi-disk NAS so that I can back up photos to a different disk. Is that foolish?5. OK....last thing…the player. I really do like the iPod...not because everyone has one either. If I went to a lossless format, I think I'm screwed. I know that it can handle the Apple lossless format but I'm wary of anything that is platform-specific.I know that I'm being needy but this is stressfull! Any help that you can give me is mucho appreciated!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
PCWhatever takes your fancy. Suggest you get one with (or add) a gigabit netwotk adaptor.
File FormatFLAC seems to be the most popular on this forum and many others.
RipperEAC
Library SoftwareMedia Monkey? I use WMP because I'm lazy.
NASQNAP? Buffalo Terrastation?
PlayerDon't think the iPod can cope with FLAC.

A

Anonymous

Do not worry too much about being "tied in" to Apple Lossless. It isn't really the case because you can use free software online such as dbPoweramp to batch convert from one format to another.
When I decided to digitise all of my CDs I used EAC and ripped to FLAC. When my library grew I found Foobar tiresome in terms of interface so therefore did a batch conversion overnight to transform all my FLACs into ALACs - Apple Lossless. All tags were retained.
As to what hardware to buy? There is so much out there and the best for you is going to be the interface you prefer and find nice to use. I personally use a laptop and an Apple Airport Express. I can stream all music losslessly to AVI ADM9, which 300w (?) active speakers with a top of the range DAC inside. iTunes and cover flow make things easy to navigate, and all of the music is stored on an old PC in a cupboard, which acts as a server.
Sonos and Squeezebox are very nice solutions too and will access all the music that is on your computer. Both solutions require an external DAC to sound their best. The AVI solution is great because it is so tidy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts