Help simplify my aging setup .....

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Kit List:
Arcam Alpha 9 Integrated Amp
Yamaha DSP-E492 Surround Processor (Monster Silver interconnect to Arcam amp)
Arcam Alpha 7 CD Player (Ixos 104 interconnect to Arcam amp))
Toshiba SD420 DVD Player (QED Qinex Interconnect x3 in 6-channel config)
XBox 360 (Std Scart)
B&W DM602 Front Speakers (QED Qudos)
B&W CC6 S2 Centre Speaker (Cable unknown)
Tannoy 603 Rear Speakers (Gale XL189)
Toshiba 32ZD26 32" CRT (PureAV Component Vid to DVD)

Setup notes:
Alpha 9 connected to B&W 602's for sterio and E492 for surround.
E492 connected to SD420 in 6-channel mode with SD420 processing digital surround for DVD's.

Like many my first proper paycheck went on some decent hi-fi. Since then I've expanded my setup to encompass home cinema though tight budgets have meant this has been almost entirely second-hand kit.
Time has moved on and my first purchases are now teenagers and my listening habits significantly altered. I am no longer satisfied with my setup and I'd love to do something about it!

The sterio performance of my system (once the primary listening mode) still makes me smile. The sound is a little warm but the mid-range is fabulous and it has plenty of drive. Bass is a little slow but that's down to the combination of components.
Even so Host's Planets Suite sound great while most of my preferred metal albums are similarily enjoyable.

These days I spend many more hours watching films than listening to an album or two. It's here I have the main issues.
Surround steering is a little clumsy even if the front three speakers integrate well. There also seems to be a void in the middle of the room where the rears seem to struggle to match the output of the fronts.
Also despite the B&W's drive in sterio they lack the low-down oomph an action flick really needs to give it that extra dimension.

In the past I've looked to replace both my sterio and surround amps with one unit but my determination not to loose the musicality of the Arcam put any worthy amp beyond financial reach. Also recently my CD player has been overcome with an illness which I won't fix if a suitable DVD player can be found to replace it. At present the Toshiba DVD player is the musical source and that certainly isn't its forte.

I want to know what a budget of £1000 can do the make my movie experience shine without undermining those moments of sterio clarity. Can either of Yamaha's most recent AV amps (763/863SE) match my current Arcam in sterio? Is an end-of-line AVR350 worth considering at £600? Should I hunt down s/hand DM601S2's for my rear channels or should replace all my speakers with a new package?

As always any and all advise is appreciated!

John Duncan

I fyou don't quite want to stretch to the 350, You may wish to consider the 1200 quid AVR280, now available at Superfi for £400 - I'd expect it to be similar in character to your Alpha........

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
John thanks certainly a tempting combo!

From a past discussion in one Sevenoak's store I was led to believe the AVR280 have the core of an Alpha 8 amp though I don't know how true that is. This should, as you say, match tonaly.

However would the recent Yamaha pair do even better? I simply don't know how much the pace of development has improved kit. Both AVR's are aging themselves and while this is no bad thing how do they compare to the most up-to-date hardware?
Indeed how to the latest DVD players compare to the DV135?

John Duncan

I would say that where the AVRs are let down is their video side, rather than their audio side - connectivity is not as good as the latest japanese products, but this may not be an issue for you. At 800 quid off though, I'd rather have that than a Yamaha (though I likes my old '620 very much, including for music).

As for the DV135, it can only upscale to 1080i, but tbh at the price I think I'd rather have it than a 150 quid player like the Denon 1940.

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
So if the Arcam pairing will sort my source and amp issues what should I do about the speakers?

Do I leave as is and see how much improvement I get with the other component changes? Or should I go further and bring in a small sub to bolster the low-end?
I've never really looked at subs and have no idea how substantial it would have to be to underpin the 602's successfully.

Would an MJ Acoustics Pro 50 carry enough weight or would I need to stretch to a B&W ASW610 to extend the low range significantly?

John Duncan

I'd get the source and amp sorted first (auditioning first if you can, obviously) and then see if there's a still a deficiency - I don't know the Toshiba, but I'd bet the Arcam is better at effects steering than it is.

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
LOL the Toshiba is the same spec as the ex-award winning SD320, so about 5 generations ago, only with the 6-channel outputs. Frankly I don't know of a similar spec DVD player available these days because the amps are so much more capable.

Needless to say the DVD player is effectively tied to the E492 and will move on if that does.

Meanwhile I'll do as you suggest. It's certainly worth confirming the relative performance of the AVR350 vs 863SE or AVR280 vs 763.

Anything I save now can go towards the projector I've been hankering after for years!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts