Help needed: Best Floorstanding Speakers for 500?

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
I plan to buy a pair of floorstanding speakers to use as front speakers in a home cinema system (e.g. with an Onkyo 875) but I would like to be able to use them also with a HiFi amplifier (currently Cyrus 1 but could upgrade later to something bigger e.g. Cyrus 8vs2 or Roksan Kandy, although I love my Cyrus 1 and would like it performing with the floorstanding speakers)
Does this mean that the speakers have to be bi-amped (correct?)
Budget is around 500 GBP (can go upto 600 for something really exceptional)
mainly to use with marantz CD6002 and PS3
Type of Music I listen to is mainly orchestral (Film music, classical) but I would like the speakers to be able to offer some nice bass with light jazz for example
What is the best match with both Onlyo 875 and Cyrus 1?
Thanks!!
Dennis

John Duncan

Does this mean that the speakers have to be bi-amped (correct?)

Not in the accepted use of the term, no - to make this work you would take the preouts from the AV amplifier into an unused input of the Cyrus, and juggle volumes (but only to calibrate once, not all the time).

There are lots of threads on this, but you need to be careful to choose an AV amplifier with preouts - the Onkyo 606, for example, does not have them.

And lastly......you may find that the 875 is a match for the Cyrus 1 for music anyway (the 606 isn't) so the Cyrus becomes superfluous - the other amps you mention, however, would wipe the floor with it.

jd

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I shall be drummerman's patsy for the day, since I don't think I've seen him: Rega R3

Thanks John. they look nice. Not a problem that they are around for more than 3 years, right? I mean maybe there are some more recent speakers that sound better?

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Does this mean that the speakers have to be bi-amped (correct?) Not in the accepted use of the term, no - to make this work you would take the preouts from the AV amplifier into an unused input of the Cyrus, and juggle volumes (but only to calibrate once, not all the time). There are lots of threads on this, but you need to be careful to choose an AV amplifier with preouts - the Onkyo 606, for example, does not have them. And lastly......you may find that the 875 is a match for the Cyrus 1 for music anyway (the 606 isn't) so the Cyrus becomes superfluous - the other amps you mention, however, would wipe the floor with it. jd

Ok. so if I understood well, in case I go for Onkyo 875 then my Cyrus 1 would be almost optional, correct? In that case I would need a bigger amply (Cyrus 8 or the Roksan kandy). Would they match with the R3? i mean are they good partners?

A

Anonymous

I can only speak from my biased opinion but i have the Cyrus 8vs2 and R3 partnership and love it with all types of music! I rate them very highly! Good with all types of music and not fusst about positioning!

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
So are Rega R3's much superior to KEF IQ5SE, Acustic Energy Aegis Neo Three, Mordaunt Short 914i or Mezzo 2?
What about Monitor Audio's Silver RS6 at 600? If they are much better than the R3's I wouldn't mind to spend the extra 100
Anyone familiar with Arcaydis AK3? Any first opinion on Mission's 79 series?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
The Rega r3's really are a class above the other speakers you've mentioned, although many people here rate the ma's highly as do i but the rega's just have a rightness about them that the others lack. I have ma br2's and when i sell them and saved a bit of cash the rega's are my next point of call.

A

Anonymous

You could possibly find a pair of 2nd hand or ex demo dali icon 6 for around that money

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Dennis Michos:

So are Rega R3's much superior to KEF IQ5SE, Acustic Energy Aegis Neo Three, Mordaunt Short 914i or Mezzo 2?
What about Monitor Audio's Silver RS6 at 600? If they are much better than the R3's I wouldn't mind to spend the extra 100

You are obviously reading a lot of magazines. Spend an afternoon or two at a nice dealer and listen to some of the listed speakers, I dont think you've missed out to many models. For what it's worth, the Regas would be my choice.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:Dennis Michos:

You are obviously reading a lot of magazines. Spend an afternoon or two at a nice dealer and listen to some of the listed speakers, I dont think you've missed out to many models. For what it's worth, the Regas would be my choice.

Not many. Just WhatHiFi :)
As I already said, I do not consider myself technically able to say that this speaker sounds better than that one. Besides, here in Greece it is not always possible to listen to what you want to buy and when it is possible most of the times the configuration of the dealer is not your configuration. I prefer to have a professional opinion too
It seems that my choice will be the R3 or maybe I will try to locate an offer on Dali's Ikon 6 although I am afraid my Cyrus one will be too small for them. I wil lhave to upgrade to a Cyrus 8 probably or a Roksan Kandy

A

Anonymous

The cyrus one should do you fine for a while, you need to ignore the fact its only 25 watts (its a very powerful and hearty 25 watts)

But the jump to a cyrus 8 should be pretty beasting when you can afford it.

A

Anonymous

I cant figure out why what hi fi hasnt reviewed the rega r3, they seem to be one of the most recomended speakers on these forums by members and they top my shortlist to partner my cyrus 3 and impending dad3q24 cd player.

I cant believe people seem to agree that they are the best floorstanders under £500 yet no WHF review

A

Anonymous

Last time i questioned this, it was said that they were going to be reviewed the following month, but they never were. Don't know what happened really.I know before that Rega didn't seem to be in the habit of sending test products which is a shame really. I would say the same about the R5's which are just a more heavy duty version of the R3. I have had mine for 2 years and plan on keeping them indefinitely, even after the arrival of my Cyrus CD8x.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for your answers.
It seems I managed to locate an offer for Dali's Ikon 6 for 750 GBP
Can you please advice if they worth the 250 extra from Rega's R3s
Any big sound difference between the two? As I said before, I mainly listen to Film Music and Classical but I wouldn't mind to have some nice bass for light jazz or New Age. i also plan to use them as front speakers in a home cinema system
Will the Dali's match nicely with Cyrus 8 or Roksan Kandy?
Currently configuration is Cyrus One and Marantz CD6002

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts