Help me find £1000 Amp and Speakers

Geezee

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi I recently started looking into getting a network or BT amp with a decent set of speakers the main reason being to stream from my pc or iPad. I got all excited by a deal on line for the NAD D 7050 and LS50s. I did a demo of the LS50s on a couple of hi end amps but didn't like the sound due to a lack of bass.

I then moved onto the Arcam A19 and Cyrus One both sounded great on a set of MA6 Silvers but this combo even with discount is over budget.

Then I moved on to some MA 2 Silvers and love the sound of them with the A19 but still the amp does not excite me. So I am now debating getting the Cyrus One and MA Silver 2 speakers as I think combined this will be a great set up, with discount this is still over budget but I may be able to find a few more pennies.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above or is there any advice on other options? I want decent bass with a natural top end. I listen to a range of music and my room is about 22 v 10 feet. I also like the Dali range of speakers.

Thanks in advance!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
If you really like the MA Silvers, why not try used? The current models have been around for a few years now, and their predecessors, the RX2 & RX6 would be cheaper still. Used would save you cash which would leave more money for the amp.

My only concern about your choice is the shape of your room. Presumably the speakers and hifi are sited along the longer wall, firing out across the shorter dimension? If your room is a very regular shape, you might have an issue with echoes and bass boom. When you're in your listening room, clap your hands. Is there a strong echo? If so, you might find that the Silver 6's will sound very different to how they sounded in the shop.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
gasolin said:
Dynaudio emit m20 and mabye a Nad C316BEE or D3020

Can add a Rega Brio R at the good choices above. I had a Rega Brio R driving my Dyns X12 with lovely results, very sweet and detailed sound, and have a wonderful MM phono stage.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Geezee said:
Hi I recently started looking into getting a network or BT amp with a decent set of speakers the main reason being to stream from my pc or iPad. I got all excited by a deal on line for the NAD D 7050 and LS50s. I did a demo of the LS50s on a couple of hi end amps but didn't like the sound due to a lack of bass.

I then moved onto the Arcam A19 and Cyrus One both sounded great on a set of MA6 Silvers but this combo even with discount is over budget.

Then I moved on to some MA 2 Silvers and love the sound of them with the A19 but still the amp does not excite me. So I am now debating getting the Cyrus One and MA Silver 2 speakers as I think combined this will be a great set up, with discount this is still over budget but I may be able to find a few more pennies.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above or is there any advice on other options? I want decent bass with a natural top end. I listen to a range of music and my room is about 22 v 10 feet. I also like the Dali range of speakers.

Thanks in advance!

At regular prices but you might find a dem or open pair of speakers.

Use a Yamaha WXC50 streamer/dac/preamp and a pair of Adam A7x.

The 7.5 inch bass driver delivers powerful controlled bass and the ribbon tweeter is as sweet as they come.

If performance is your criteria, this will do what you want, seriously different from the usual suspects you mention but outside the usual enthusiast's comfort zone.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Geezee said:

Thanks in advance!

The 7.5 inch bass driver delivers powerful controlled bass and the ribbon tweeter is as sweet as they come.

If performance is your criteria, this will do what you want, seriously different from the usual suspects you mention but outside the usual enthusiast's comfort zone.

Was going to suggest something along these lines but thought I'd get shot down. The Yamaha is a decent little bit of kit coupled with some good actives.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
davedotco said:
Geezee said:

Thanks in advance!

Was going to suggest something along these lines but thought I'd get shot down. The Yamaha is a decent little bit of kit coupled with some good actives.

There is very little chance of anyone posting on here actually buying a system like that, I just post these suggestions out of habit these days.

For a lot of modern music the active setup delivers more powerful bass with greater control and a punch and presence that leaves comparatively priced conventional components way behind.

However it does require that you step out of your RicherOakes comfort zone and check out some different types of product. Unlikely to happen.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Simply because you mention network and Bluetooth amp I automatically think of the quad vena, though I've never heard it, I want one anyway.

For a very reasonable 200 pounds you can pick up a monitor audio a100 that is practically designed for streaming from i things, and does PC streaming over DNLA.

This was a 400 pound well reviewed amp, that has digital inputs as well as an analog in

This leaves you with 800 for speakers, I'd imagine you'd find something that gels well with this amp for 800 pounds

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
luckylion100 said:
davedotco said:
Geezee said:

Thanks in advance!

There is very little chance of anyone posting on here actually buying a system like that, I just post these suggestions out of habit these days.

For a lot of modern music the active setup delivers more powerful bass with greater control and a punch and presence that leaves comparatively priced conventional components way behind.

However it does require that you step out of your RicherOakes comfort zone and check out some different types of product. Unlikely to happen.

Despite all the naysayers and the ignorant (of which I was one )many are sadly blinded by their hatred for certain brands/personalities or simply unaware I did actually listen and took the chance with the active route and haven't regretted it for an instant. I recall you offering me some advice as to where to go from PMC/Roksan in regard to actives. In the end though it's their decision their money, what can you do...

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
is probably the best way to go, as it includes Bluetooth, is active and only requires power cables. You can stream directly from your computer or iDevice, there's no setup or faffing around with cables. The Xeo2 includes a DAC as well. Supports 24bit/192kHz so covers hi-res audio, although many are yet to be convinced about the benefits of the latter.

The sound is top quality from bluetooth, plus there are settings for whether you'll use it close to a wall or not. It sells for just under £1000, and, to be honest, in terms of sound quality I can't think of any other active or passive speaker/amplifier combination that gets close for the money.

Manufacturer blurb here: http://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/xeo/xeo-2/

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
is probably the best way to go, as it includes Bluetooth, is active and only requires power cables. You can stream directly from your computer or iDevice, there's no setup or faffing around with cables. The Xeo2 includes a DAC as well. Supports 24bit/192kHz so covers hi-res audio, although many are yet to be convinced about the benefits of the latter.

The sound is top quality from bluetooth, plus there are settings for whether you'll use it close to a wall or not. It sells for just under £1000, and, to be honest, in terms of sound quality I can't think of any other active or passive speaker/amplifier combination that gets close for the money.

Manufacturer blurb here: http://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/xeo/xeo-2/

I like Dynaudio and the XEO 2 is a good setup. It is however somewhat limited as it has no streaming capabilities from a local network, no built in streaming solutions such as Spotify Connect, only Bluetooth.

Sound quality is very good though I would question the bass output for the op's tastes. The A7x is a pretty serious speaker, at around £800pr, like many 'pro' type speakers it is balanced to give a powerfull, punchy sound that the XEOs can not match.

As an alternative to the A7x, the Dynaudio BM5-III can be had for a shade over £600, again more potent than the XEO2 though without the Bluetooth, so you will need a pre-amp such as the WXC50 mentioned earlier.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Geezee said:
Hi I recently started looking into getting a network or BT amp with a decent set of speakers the main reason being to stream from my pc or iPad.

Can I just point out that if you have an iPad (rather than an Android tablet), then it won't support the high quality Apt-X Bluetooth, so streaming from your iPad to a Bluetooth equipped amplifier may not sound that good.

Much may depend on precisely what you'll be streaming. If Spotify, you could buy a product that supports Spotify Connect. Then your iPad is just a remote rather than the streaming source. But if you're talking about streaming files stored on your iPad, then the Bluetooth problem remains and you may need to look at other ways of streaming from point to point. Apple's approach usually requires using Airplay, but I found this very patchy in my home and prefer to tether my iPad directly to my amplifier. But not many amplifiers provide this function, so this might be something you will need to consider.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to hear those Adams and how close they get to the performance of my Opals given they are quite well matched size wise, albeit a fair price difference. I'm curious to actives in the Adams price point generally.

I did previously own the KRK Rokit 10-3 which are a similar price but are huge three way monsters so the money is spread over a bigger speaker, I suspect the Adams are more refined but of course aimed at a differnet kind of market, the KRKs are ideal party speakers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
bluedroog said:
I'd love to hear those Adams and how close they get to the performance of my Opals given they are quite well matched size wise, albeit a fair price difference. I'm curious to actives in the Adams price point generally.

I did previously own the KRK Rokit 10-3 which are a similar price but are huge three way monsters so the money is spread over a bigger speaker, I suspect the Adams are more refined but of course aimed at a differnet kind of market, the KRKs are ideal party speakers.

Is often described or rated as the best nearfield monitor in it's class, this is by reviewers and surveys etc, not having heard all the options, I could not say, but it is one hell of a speaker.

Exchange rate changes have pushed the price over £800 in recent months but if your requirement is for a big, punchy sound that can still do refined, particularly at lower levels, this is still great value.

A bit 'industrial' looking to some eyes but very well built and finished, balanced and unbalanced inputs so easy to pair with hi-fi equipment and useful eq built in.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
I like Dynaudio and the XEO 2 is a good setup. It is however somewhat limited as it has no streaming capabilities from a local network, no built in streaming solutions such as Spotify Connect, only Bluetooth.

Sound quality is very good though I would question the bass output for the op's tastes. The A7x is a pretty serious speaker, at around £800pr, like many 'pro' type speakers it is balanced to give a powerfull, punchy sound that the XEOs can not match.

As an alternative to the A7x, the Dynaudio BM5-III can be had for a shade over £600, again more potent than the XEO2 though without the Bluetooth, so you will need a pre-amp such as the WXC50 mentioned earlier.
Connect gives you spotify.

I know the BM5s quite well. If by more potent you mean more bass, harder midrange and treble, then you are correct. The Adams I haven't heard for a while. I thought them OK and better than most studio monitors, but they are cable heavy , don't have a DAC, require a preamp and are balanced to be nearfield monitors. Nothing wrong with that, but they lack the versatility and sound quality to equal the Xeo 2s. That's my opinion on sound quality, by the way. You seem to like studio monitors, whereas I find most of them unacceptable - different ears, different choices.

There's nothing wrong either with going secondhand for speakers and amps. Even factory seconds: Neat speakers can be found at various dealers (audio express has Motive 1s for £799) for prices well below the £1000 mark, and, coupled with a reasonably powerful amp should sound in another league to many of the options given here.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Subjective impressions are just that, as a general point I will say that I find most hi-fi speakers at this sort of performance level to be soft and lacking in presence, hence my preference for the active studio monitor route. This is personal and generally not a view that I push in general terms.

However, there are, as I am sure you know from reading this forum, a fair number of posters who find the presentation of 'regular' hi-fi speakers do not suit the kind of music that they play.

A lack of bass seems to be a big issue here and this is one area the studio monitor type speakers actually excell, for a lot of users, not just the op, they provide the bass power and punch that is very hard to find elswhere at the price.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
Subjective impressions are just that, as a general point I will say that I find most hi-fi speakers at this sort of performance level to be soft and lacking in presence, hence my preference for the active studio monitor route. This is personal and generally not a view that I push in general terms.

However, there are, as I am sure you know from reading this forum, a fair number of posters who find the presentation of 'regular' hi-fi speakers do not suit the kind of music that they play.

A lack of bass seems to be a big issue here and this is one area the studio monitor type speakers actually excell, for a lot of users, not just the op, they provide the bass power and punch that is very hard to find elswhere at the price.
That might be true, but there are many reasons for that, of which the main ones are speakers unsuitable for their room and tastes. Buying studio monitors won't necessary resolve the problem.

There are many domestic speakers that have zero problem with bass, indeed some, such as the Dynaudio excite range, that can produce too much in the wrong room. Hifi speakers tend to have a better balance, since studio monitors, as you say, accentuate the bass. However, any speaker will sound bad if the room isn't right, or the listener chose them without accounting for long term listening or taste.

One of the reasons I like mine is because you can listen to them comfortably all day long, and I'm not sure that is the case with many other brands.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
davedotco said:

That might be true, but there are many reasons for that, of which the main ones are speakers unsuitable for their room and tastes. Buying studio monitors won't necessary resolve the problem.

There are many domestic speakers that have zero problem with bass, indeed some, such as the Dynaudio excite range, that can produce too much in the wrong room. Hifi speakers tend to have a better balance, since studio monitors, as you say, accentuate the bass. However, any speaker will sound bad if the room isn't right, or the listener chose them without accounting for long term listening or taste.

One of the reasons I like mine is because you can listen to them comfortably all day long, and I'm not sure that is the case with many other brands.

For the application or the room is a huge subject of its own.

Speaking very generally, active speakers have very good control of the bass, particularly on modern 'bass driven' music, this is particularly noticeable in the price range we are talking about and when the setup is driven quite hard. This can be a real help in many rooms.

As is usual with Adam monitors, they provide bass shelving eq, allowing a degree of control over the bass 'balance' that few others types of speaker can match. It took a week or two to get mine correct for the positioning I wanted in the room, final balancing being achieved with the tweeter level control. For a lot of people I am sure this will be very useful, not just at the bass end either.

As with any speaker, the way the listener reacts to them is paramount, one persons 'comfortable' is another persons 'boring', thats just the way it is.

Anyway, back to the point, which is an attempt to get enthusiasts to get out of their comfort zone and try something a little different, active speakers, be they studio monitors or hi-fi types such as Dynaudio and AVI can have a lot to offer.

TRENDING THREADS