Help me choose in an unbalanced setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I would like some advice and thoughts on a replacement for the PS3 as a source for DVD and Blu-Ray in a rather unbalanced setup.

My video display is a 32" Sony LCD of early generation and only 720p native resolution.

My audio system is more high end.
Monitor Audio GS20 for main speakers
Monitor Audio for centre
Mordount Short bipolar for rear
Silver cabling
Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver which is a little old, but meaty and THX cert.
Recent addition of Cambridge Audio Azur flagship amp 840A for stereo duties and slave mode to the Onkyo for the main speakers in 5.1

The music section is based on an external DAC and Sonos. But this is not the question.

As you can imagine many of the higher end Blu-ray players will give much better video processing especially up scaling of DVD. I will not perhaps notice much of this with my screen.

Having listened in a demo to increasingly expensive DVD players as a source for CD when used purely as a transport to a common DAC I can testify that higher quality, all digital sources make huge differences.

From Marantz, Oppo and Onkyo 809 at the higher budget end vs the likes of Panasonics 210 and 310 at potentially a third of the price. Where is the right approach?

I would LIKE to use the internal decode of the Onkyo for HD audio as always felt cheated that my FAT PS3 never sent it bitstream audio for this mode and PCM decoded instead. It will not be used for audio, just 5.1

What do you think?
I could spend a fortune on a Cambridge audio 651 or 751 and use its DACs but a bit of me wants the display on the Onkyo to one day show HD Audio etc for DTS and Dolby, and the reviews of the 805 Onkyo receiver were very good some time ago.

Cheers

Simon 

A

Anonymous

Can't really help much, but the upscaling on the PS3 is actually very good. It also benefits from the vastly superior horsepower avialble compared to any other player.

My only issue as a BR player is the fan noise, but it's not a deal breaker.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
imajical said:
Can't really help much, but the upscaling on the PS3 is actually very good. It also benefits from the vastly superior horsepower avialble compared to any other player.

Trouble is, as most BD movies are 1080p, they will be downscaled to 720p on the op's setup / TV, ok for DVD upscaling without a doubt.

I think you would notice the biggest difference in sound quality. My Pioneer for example looks & sounds a fair bit better, but slow load times, opposed to the Sony S380 only marginally improved on picture & sound over the PS3 Phat / Slim versions IMO.

To make a significant difference i would be looking at the Pioneer BDPLX55 as a starting point at around £300, plus the others you have mentioned including the Onkyo, Denon, Cambridge & Oppo, assuming you intend a tv upgrade in the future.

Go have a demo, have a look, listen, to see what your preferences are as regards specifications & connectivity, would probably be the best advice.

Regards ..

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comments so far. It is certainly the audio that I expect will be the focus. I am especially keen to hear opinions from those that have experimented with on-board decode of HD audio vs bitstream,.

The Onkyo 809 for example had a nice review from the WHF crew and it only does bitstreaming. No fancy DACs in there.

Br Simon

A

Anonymous

Little bump... Nobody new has any opinions on a great sounding player when used bitsream vs testing self decode. Nobody new any thoughts on spend and reward.. Call this a forum (tongue in cheek of course gentleman and ladies) before any flaming. I really do appreciate any genuine insight. Cheers Simon

A

Anonymous

f1only said:
imajical said:

Trouble is, as most BD movies are 1080p, they will be downscaled to 720p on the op's setup / TV, ok for DVD upscaling without a doubt.

I think you would notice the biggest difference in sound quality. My Pioneer for example looks & sounds a fair bit better, but slow load times, opposed to the Sony S380 only marginally improved on picture & sound over the PS3 Phat / Slim versions IMO.

To make a significant difference i would be looking at the Pioneer BDPLX55 as a starting point at around £300, plus the others you have mentioned including the Onkyo, Denon, Cambridge & Oppo, assuming you intend a tv upgrade in the future.

Go have a demo, have a look, listen, to see what your preferences are as regards specifications & connectivity, would probably be the best advice.

Regards ..

There is no difference in sound quality when using digital out. I had a Panasonic BD50 and I've gone back to the PS3 as the Panny was too slow. The sound and picture looked identical to me, but the PS3 wins on useability.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
imajical said:
There is no difference in sound quality when using digital out. I had a Panasonic BD50 and I've gone back to the PS3 as the Panny was too slow. The sound and picture looked identical to me, but the PS3 wins on useability.

Except you get HD sound from bitstream via HDMI, you cant over optical & the OP wants HD audio as in

M5sime said:
I would LIKE to use the internal decode of the Onkyo for HD audio as always felt cheated that my FAT PS3 never sent it bitstream audio for this mode and PCM decoded instead.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts