Help me choose between two systems

the ugly duckling

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I live in a portuguese city where there's not a hi-fi store where I can test some equipment, so I rely upon What Hi-Fi mag and online sources to build up my preferences. However, I take my music very seriously and really value the best sound I can get close to.

I'm planning to buy a second system, a budget one, in the following weeks, but have a doubt I'm sure some of you can help me with. My actual system is of a professional kind, as I used to dj: two Denon DN-S5000 cd players, a Denon DN-X1500 mixer, and a couple of Tapco Thump TH-15A active speakers.

I mainly listen to several types of contemporary electronic and classical music.

Two options, same price:

1) Onkyo C-7030 cd player, Onkyo A-9010 amp, Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers.

2) Move temporarily one of the Denon cd players to the new set-up, Rega Brio-R amp, Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers.

If you're familiar with these, share your opinion. It will be very helpful. Thank you.

the ugly duckling said:
Hi,

I live in a portuguese city where there's not a hi-fi store where I can test some equipment, so I rely upon What Hi-Fi mag and online sources to build up my preferences. However, I take my music very seriously and really value the best sound I can get close to.

I'm planning to buy a second system, a budget one, in the following weeks, but have a doubt I'm sure some of you can help me with. My actual system is of a professional kind, as I used to dj: two Denon DN-S5000 cd players, a Denon DN-X1500 mixer, and a couple of Tapco Thump TH-15A active speakers.

I mainly listen to several types of contemporary electronic and classical music.

Two options, same price:

2) Move temporarily one of the Denon cd players to the new set-up, Rega Brio-R amp, Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers.

If you're familiar with these, share your opinion. It will be very helpful. Thank you.

I have not heard either set-up but logically, as you have CD player available, I would go with the second option. It's a class amp.

gasolin

the ugly duckling said:
Hi,

Two options, same price:

So you would choose between a Onkyo A-9010 or a Rega Brio R amp?

Makes no sense Rea any day over Onkyo it's a much more expensive amp and i think it has better sound

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Here we go again with the more expensive = better assumption. Not always!

I tend to agree, but... I also assume the rega amp to be better sounding to the onkyo, even though i have not heard the rega, i could be wrong

I have had a play with the 'cheapy' onkyo its excellent for the low cost, betters most other amps in its class, (from the ones i have heard) it sounded superb with QA 3050's , the combination had a full yet liquidy sound, rare in cheap stuff, but those speakers are good anyway , not sure how it would sound with smaller cheaper speakers, might have had a different opinion of it

matthewpiano

grimharry said:
I believe from previous posts you've had the brio r and a400, how does the yamaha compare?
I still have all 3 amps. There isn't much in it to be honest. Ultimately I'd say the A400 is the best overall for sound, but mine is showing its age quite badly now. The Rega and Yamaha are both fine amps. However, the Yamaha grips my Dynaudios better and has greater flexibility to boot.

Next step for me is probably something like a PM8005 or A-S1100, though I've not excluded the idea of an R-N602 or Onkyo TX-8050 to maximise flexibility. Time, as always, will tell.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts