Help me choose a streamer please

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm after a stream to connect to my amp.

it must have a decent analogue or digital output : under £200 : be small and unobtrusive: have spotify connect.

Currently first choice is a 16g Apple IPod touch connected via jack to phnom.

cheers um

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you do not need storage or to play local files the Google Fire TV is a fine Spotify 'server' and dirt cheap.

In fact it is cheap enough to get one and an iPod touch for £200 (ish).

When you get bored with the wired connection, get an airport express or even the cheaper Neet equivilent.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
If you do not need storage or to play local files the Google Fire TV is a fine Spotify 'server' and dirt cheap.

In fact it is cheap enough to get one and an iPod touch for £200 (ish).

When you get bored with the wired connection, get an airport express or even the cheaper Neet equivilent.

thanks : does google fire TV have connect then? Or is it its own Spotify browser. I dislike AirPlay so AE is not for me thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Um said:
isn't It Amazon Fire tv?

I've been hunting for stuff on Google, just a typo.

Yes it has Spotify Connect and a Toslink ouput to connect to your amp. The iPod touch will act as a remote, using the standard Spotify client app.

Since you will be using the iPod as a remote, it kind of makes sense to use it to stream local content, what do you have against Airplay anyway?

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
This is very helpful thanks.

My iPad will be the remote so I wouldn't need the touch..

Well I have never and I mean never expierenced AirPlay with out drop outs. Fact

Sounds like it might be an option........ This Amazon thingy.

Cheers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Um said:
This is very helpful thanks.

My iPad will be the remote so I wouldn't need the touch..

Well I have never and I mean never expierenced AirPlay with out drop outs. Fact

Sounds like it might be an option........ This Amazon thingy.

Cheers

Just to put the other side of the argument, I use an early plug in, dual band AEX which is configured as a network extender, even though it is right next to my modest Virgin router hub. All our devices are set up to connect directly to the hub on the 2.4Ghz band. Only the one device that I use to stream from is connected via the 5Ghz band to the AEX.

No dropouts, none!

If you want something with Spotify Connect that also streams local content, take a look at this.

https://www.hifiklubben.dk/streaming/flere-produkter-med-streaming/argon-stream-2-musikstreamer/

Neat looking device,

ARGSTREAM2BK_1low.jpg

You will have to import from europe but the dealers, HifiKlubben, are reliable and well known. Even with shipping it should not cost more than £100-120. It is cheaper from non eurozone countries but you might get caught with import duty and VAT, buy out of Amsterdam and what you see is what you pay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts