Help How To Bi-Wire Monitor Audio BR2 With Marantz pm6003

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can someone tell me which way the speaker cables go to bi-wire my monitor audio BR2s to my marantz pm 6003 and do i use the A and B speaker terminals on my amp and my speakers are about 1 to 2 metres apart from my amp so do i use 2 metre lengths of cable as this would be fine or more as i read somewhere that you should use 6 metre lengths of speaker cable for best results as im new to all this im not sure what to believe so can someone please help. thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hello Hansen, I recomend you bi-wire but don`t biamp (don't use the speaker B terminal) . I donït know if it is a matter or perception but I use to had my BW 685 biamp using the speaker B for the tweeter connection and the trebble looked to sound without live. If you read the Marantz's manual it recommends you to use only the Speaker A if you use a pair of speakers because it has a better quality.

Kind Regards

A

Anonymous

i know nothing about hifi , but id say the idea of having to use 6 m lengths is a silly old wives tale ...

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
spfrank:

Hello Hansen, I recomend you bi-wire but don`t biamp (don't use the speaker B terminal) . I donït know if it is a matter or perception but I use to had my BW 685 biamp using the speaker B for the tweeter connection and the trebble looked to sound without live. If you read the Marantz's manual it recommends you to use only the Speaker A if you use a pair of speakers because it has a better quality.

Kind Regards

To be fair, that isn't actually bi-amping, that is still just bi-wiring.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
spfrank:Hello Hansen, I recomend you bi-wire but don`t biamp (don't use the speaker B terminal)

...Although of course using both sets of speaker terminals isn't biamping; it's still only biwiring.

spfrank:If you read the Marantz's manual it recommends you to use only
the Speaker A if you use a pair of speakers because it has a better
quality.

In which case use two-to-four biwire cables - ie with the two negative conductors commoned together at the amp end, and the same with the positive - and you'll be fine.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:i know nothing about hifi , but id say the idea of having to use 6 m lengths is a silly old wives tale ...

I could be wrong, but I believe NAIM recommend 6m lengths on their systems (They do their own cables and components throughout, and use measurements to define exactly whats best). What im saying there is that their speakers are designed in such a way that they work best when used with their own speaker cable at 6m lengths

Of course with all other 'mix and match' systems it wont be the case

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys really appreciate the help. loving this site.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot Andrew for your remarks, I thougth that connecting to speaker B terminal was a separated amplification. I use to connect in the biwire way you said 2x4 to speakers terminal A and sounds better .... I'm reviewing my system and I have mesured the DC current in the speakers and it results to be negative ¨Is that rigth or do i have connected in a bad way the speakers? My kowledge on electricty is very reduced, so perhaps I did something bad....;) Sorry...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
spfrank:Thanks a lot Andrew for your remarks, I thougth that connecting to speaker B terminal was a separated amplification. I use to connect in the biwire way you said 2x4 to speakers terminal A and sounds better .... I'm reviewing my system and I have mesured the DC current in the speakers and it results to be negative ¨Is that rigth or do i have connected in a bad way the speakers? My kowledge on electricty is very reduced, so perhaps I did something bad....;) Sorry...

Not quite sure what you're measuring where, but provided you have the 2-to-4 wired up properly, and the right plugs in the right sockets at each end, it will be performing as it should.

A

Anonymous

Hello Andrew, I reviewed my setup and all the plugs are in the rigth sockets, I have been trying to see if all connections were rigth measuring the DC Current (mA) between the +.- connections of each speaker and, from my unknowledge of electricity basic fundamentals, I am surprised by the fact that the current intensity (variable) was negative in some speakers and positive in other. I'll use the tradicional method in the future.

Thanks a lot for your remarks . Kind Regards

A

Anonymous

Hi guys... I just bought a PM6003 and having probs with this... Using A and B amp terminals bowlers to my 7 year old MA RS6 Silver floor standers, I seem to get emergency cut-out from the amp at any kind of decent volume... Is impedance a prob? I'm using XT Silver Anniversary Biwire cable so difficult to do a 2 into 4!

MarantzLover

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Krisgib

Do bear in mind that the speakers you own are 6 ohm rated at 40-120w. the amp is rated at about 50 when in 6ohms.

Surely even in regular one cable wiring the speakers are being underpowered, given that your lowest level of power to get these speakers driving is about 40w, and that the maximum power output of the amp is about 50w at 6ohms, it means that by the time you start gassing the amplifier - you are still only just starting to get the speakers moving.

Underpowering speakers is much more dangerous to the speakers than over powering them - primarily because when you reach the amps highest output you start to square wave the signal. This causes distortion in the tweeter at frequencies you can't hear - and its known that when you start feeding a square wave rather than a nice sinewave - the tweeters burn out.

The square wave distortion will not start occuring on a more powerful amp until the amp is near its maximum power output.

The main drivers are fine - because there's not anywhere near enough power to get them distorting at frequencies that you can hear. Thats why its better to over match speakers. At least if you start to put too much power to them - you'll find that the main drivers will distort and buzz - your instinct will tell you turn it down rather than continue.

Your Marantz is cutting out because you have not matched the speakers.

if you are using speaker A&B for what you think is bi-wiring, then you have not paid dues to the warning on the back of the amp relating to the impedances printed on the amp beside A+B. Which is 8-16 ohms. Marantz specifically have not mentioned biwiring in this manual - but did mention it in the manuals above this (8003, ki pearl lite etc). I had a 6003 but upgraded to the 8003 I bought second hand specifically because I was experiencing issues powering my floorstanders. Now I habve no issues as the amp is matched closer to the speakers.

You work out your total impedance placed on the amp by this formula (AxB)/(A+B).

In your case because you only have one pair of speakers there is no "B", so your figures are A:6ohm, B:0ohms

((6x0)=6 / (6+0)=6) = 1ohm This means you are placed excessive current draw on the amp.

As our esteemed mr everard (and much more experienced than I) states - just run from one pair of terminals only, modify if you have to - but run from one pair of terminals only

thanks

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
MarantzLover said:
Hi Krisgib

Do bear in mind that the speakers you own are 6 ohm rated at 40-120w. the amp is rated at about 50 when in 6ohms.

if you are using speaker A&B for what you think is bi-wiring, then you have not paid dues to the warning on the back of the amp relating to the impedances printed on the amp beside A+B. Which is 8-16 ohms.

In your case because you only have one pair of speakers there is no "B", so your figures are A:6ohm, B:0ohms

((6x0)=6 / (6+0)=6) = 1ohm This means you are placed excessive current draw on the amp.

6x0 is 0, not 6! One pair of 6ohm speakers will give an impedance of 6ohms, regardless of whether you use one or both sets of terminals. Impedance would only HALVE to 3ohms if you used two sets of 6ohm speakers simultaneously.

Your Marantz will drive your speakers with no problem at all- and as long as you don't expect rock-concert levels you have plenty of power. Steer clear of any tone controls- keep them centred i.e off, and you will have no problems.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
The 8-16ohm recommendation is only applicable when using two sets of speakers- two 8ohm pairs (1pair wired to each set of terminals) would give a total impedance of 4ohms- usually a common minimum for most amps. You can wire a single set however you like, the impedance will remain at 8ohms.

Seriously, your amp and speakers will be fine!

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
krisgib said:
Hi guys... I just bought a PM6003 and having probs with this... Using A and B amp terminals bowlers to my 7 year old MA RS6 Silver floor standers, I seem to get emergency cut-out from the amp at any kind of decent volume... Is impedance a prob? I'm using XT Silver Anniversary Biwire cable so difficult to do a 2 into 4!

Hi Krisgib,

see my posts above, and also ensure you have adequate ventilation around your amp, and for goodness sakes do not use any bass-boosting (Although with RS6s I can't imagine you'd need to!). It should not be cutting out at 'decent' volumes- this will not be down to impedance IMO, it may be worth getting the amp serviced- maybe an inherent fault...

A

Anonymous

Is it better to use bi-wire cable (as in 2-4) or use normal cable and the A and B terminals on the amp then? Or does it not matter?

Thanks

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Opinion is split on that one- some say that there is a difference, and others don't. Either way, the outputs will be commoned inside the amp so you get the same result.

So you could try either configuration and see what you hear (so to speak...), but I reckon it wouldn't make a noticable difference. Do whatever your were originally planning to do!

A

Anonymous

Thanks I will probably look to get some 2 into 4 cable as it will mean I have less cables to deal with, at the moment i am just using speaker cable to create a bridge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts