Help for a newbie _ receiver _ connectivity

LeoM

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
I am in the process of doing some research to buy a new receiver + speackers and turntable.

As it is right now I am testing a Yamaha rn602 with paradigm monitor 9 series and a Pro-Ject turntable.

I love the way it sounds and i really like the yamaha receiver and like the connectivity options it gives me. But I am also lloking at a Bluesound Node 2 for that with maybe a NAD receiver - i am thinking about futurre proofing on the receiver side...

Budget is around $2000 +/- but flexible... what do you guys think?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
From this point of view the R-N602 is pretty much untouchable at the price, it really does do everything you could possibly want.

The only limit is that the multiroom funtion is limited to 'MusicCast' devices but the range of options is growing by the week, and is already better than, say, Bluesound.

If I wanted a 'do anything' system at sensible cost, this would definitely be my starting point, far more on offer than the Sonos or Bluesound options. Not exactly hi-end, but that is to miss the point.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
LeoM said:
I love the way it sounds and i really like the yamaha receiver and like the connectivity options it gives me. But I am also lloking at a Bluesound Node 2 for that with maybe a NAD receiver - i am thinking about futurre proofing on the receiver side...

Budget is around $2000 +/- but flexible... what do you guys think?

On the one hand, you've already answered your question: if you love the way it sounds, then go for it.

However you also mentioned "future-proofing on the receiver side". If you did want to upgrade the amp itself in future, then obviously moving from a one-box system will need swapping the entire box. Whereas the Bluesound Node enables you to upgrade the amp in future, but retain the streamer. It also widens the possibilities for which amps you can look at, rather than restricting yourself to a receiver.

However, with streaming, much depends on how good the app is. Go to the app store and check out user-reviews on how useable/reliable the app is, or even better go to the dealer and try the app out for yourself if they can do that. The thing that personally appeals to me about Bluesound is that their core business is streaming, so they will continue to update that side of it, like the recent support for MQA for example, alongside a much wider range of streaming services including Tidal, which Yamaha's app currently lacks.

LeoM

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Thank you both for your advise. I think I will stay with the Yamaha and keep an eye on all the new stuff that is coming out, the Bluesound intregues me, but i am really happy with the setup i have right now.

Thanks again for your advise

Leo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts