Help Choosing A New TV

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
i'm in need choosing a new TV, my wife has offered to put money towards a new TV for christmas.

My current TV is a Samsung LE40550 ( budget TV ) but has a good picture.

I'm not interested in online features as my xbox and sky box does all i need and i have no need for 3D.

What i am looking for is a larger TV 42" to 46" with a good picture and above average sound ( if its possible )

I want to keep the budget under £800

I have been looking at the Sony KDL46EX653, Samsung UE46ES6300, LG 42LM660T but i have just had a read about the Panasonic 42ST (over budget) and then the 42UT50 which uses the same panel as the GT model and at a bargain price of £600 but its only downfall is only having 2 HDMI connections but i can live with that.

What do you think?

D

Deleted member 2457

landzw said:
i'm in need choosing a new TV, my wife has offered to put money towards a new TV for christmas.

My current TV is a Samsung LE40550 ( budget TV ) but has a good picture.

I'm not interested in online features as my xbox and sky box does all i need and i have no need for 3D.

What i am looking for is a larger TV 42" to 46" with a good picture and above average sound ( if its possible )

I want to keep the budget under £800

I have been looking at the Sony KDL46EX653, Samsung UE46ES6300, LG 42LM660T but i have just had a read about the Panasonic 42ST (over budget) and then the 42UT50 which uses the same panel as the GT model and at a bargain price of £600 but its only downfall is only having 2 HDMI connections but i can live with that.

What do you think?

Hi, RGB Direct are doing the Panasonic 42ST50 for £729! That is where my money would go. Not sure about the 42uT50 using the same panel as the GT50, but I do know it gets good reviews.

D

Deleted member 2457

Couple of other shops are doing the 42ST50 for £729 too! And you get the 3D glasses thrown in!

D

Deleted member 2457

The sound on my GT50 is very decent btw, not sure about the ST50 though.

D

Deleted member 2457

House of Fraser has it at £759 and 5 year warranty and £100 worth of accessories, only 1 in stock, must be quick! I would say it is worth the deal.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello landzw,

I'm going to disagree with the other contributors here. Based on my own experiences in changing television sizes, I'm absolutely certain that going from a 40" television (as I believe yours is, though the model number that you quote in the text differs from the model number in your signature) to a 42" or to even a 46" television really would be money not well spent. You have to go to at least a 50" set to really notice the difference and get that "WOW" factor. I realise that this is £112.20 above your budget, but House of Fraser are currently doing the Panasonic 50ST50 in this offer http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Panasonic+TX-P50ST50+3D+Plasma+TV/167070871,default,pd.html and that is with a 5-year guarantee. If it turns out to be a good enough purchase, you'll keep the set for a long time. I bought my first flatscreen TV in summer 2008, my 42" Pioneer, which has now been relegated twice and is now in my bedroom, and I'm still very happy with it. Believe me, judging on size alone as opposed to including other factors, going from a 40" set to even a 46" is not a big enough increase. Save up slightly more and go for a 50".

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Hello landzw,

I'm going to disagree with the other contributors here. Based on my own experiences in changing television sizes, I'm absolutely certain that going from a 40" television (as I believe yours is, though the model number that you quote in the text differs from the model number in your signature) to a 42" or to even a 46" television really would be money not well spent. You have to go to at least a 50" set to really notice the difference and get that "WOW" factor. I realise that this is £112.20 above your budget, but House of Fraser are currently doing the Panasonic 50ST50 in this offer http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Panasonic+TX-P50ST50+3D+Plasma+TV/167070871,default,pd.html and that is with a 5-year guarantee. If it turns out to be a good enough purchase, you'll keep the set for a long time. I bought my first flatscreen TV in summer 2008, my 42" Pioneer, which has now been relegated twice and is now in my bedroom, and I'm still very happy with it. Believe me, judging on size alone as opposed to including other factors, going from a 40" set to even a 46" is not a big enough increase. Save up slightly more and go for a 50".

That is a good price, nice spot!

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Hello landzw,

Thanks for the reply, yes the LE40550 is the same model as the LE40554 but is housed in a slightly different housing but al the internals are the same.

I couldn't fit anything larger than a 47inch TV ( depending on height and width ) in the space i have between a chimney breast and wall, not only that i wouldn't want anything larger than a 42 plasma due to running costs, so a 42inch plasma would only cost a little more than the 40inch LCD than i have now but a 46 or 47inch LED TV would cost less over the year to run.

So i figured after i regret not buying a panasonic plasma in the first place, a 2012 42inch plasma should have a better picture than my current LCD, though i would still consider a larger LED TV

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I ended up purchasing a LG50PA650T which was a little from my previous choices, but i decided to go for a good screen size with no extra's like online content and 3D as i would never use these features and i found the TV for £450 which is abit of a bargain.

TRENDING THREADS