Heavy amp on top of CD player

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Hi there

Now I've finally sorted out my system issues, I need another piece of advise from you lovely people please!

I have a Rega Elicit-R, Arcam CD and only 1 spare shelf. Currently I have the amp on top of my CD player, but that amp is VERY HEAVY. It weighs 13kg or something nuts like that. This seems like a lot to put on top of my CD player, but I don't really have any other option.

Is it a lot?! Will it cope?!

IMG_3106.JPG

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, you have a nice system with analogue on top. I think, there is no real problem for Arcam CD to hold on his "back" amp like Rega Elicit R. Just keep in mind there has to be very good ventilation around this amp. But this you have. I have also Audia Flight 2 Amp (19,5 kg) on Audia CD 2 (12kg) and Rega Brio on top of it all😂. And no problem for years. I just changed all feets on Audia CD, I use Soundcare feets. But this is not must. The weight of Elicit is stabilizing the whole your rack. If you do not hear any intrusive noice, when e.g. nocking on upper shelf of rack when turntable is playing, than also no problem. My Rega turntables responded well, when I inserted massive rock tiles below each turntable and granite plate below the Audia amp. Just for inspiration. See pic below. BR.

Attachments

• 20240322_065405.jpg
    20240322_065405.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 15

Gray

It is a lot.
But it's coped up to now hasn't it?

Can only be honest though and say that I wouldn't do that - regardless of weight, I always have components physically further apart.

In your case I'd be finding /making a shelf to go between them, there's room there to space things nicely - and still maintain adequate ventilation.

Jasonovich

Hi there

Now I've finally sorted out my system issues, I need another piece of advise from you lovely people please!

I have a Rega Elicit-R, Arcam CD and only 1 spare shelf. Currently I have the amp on top of my CD player, but that amp is VERY HEAVY. It weighs 13kg or something nuts like that. This seems like a lot to put on top of my CD player, but I don't really have any other option.

View attachment 7242
The amps weight is resting on the corners and not over the CD mechanism, so that's fine. You did the right thing placing the amp on top of CD Player to allow the heat to escape freely to the top. AB class amps can get very hot, so its better you haven't placed the amp under the CD player. The cabinet appears to have sufficient space for the heat to escape.
I did exactly the same with mine, for the streamer/DAC, I made a small shelf-table, it's over the amp but not to close :)
1723736696748.png

Reactions: nopiano

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
The amps weight is resting on the corners and not over the CD mechanism, so that's fine. You did the right thing placing the amp on top of CD Player to allow the heat to escape freely to the top. AB class amps can get very hot, so its better you haven't placed the amp under the CD player. The cabinet appears to have sufficient space for the heat to escape.
I did exactly the same with mine, for the streamer/DAC, I made a small shelf-table, it's over the amp but not to close :)
View attachment 7253
Looks like it’s stacked up whilst you’re doing the cleaning.

DG…

Gray

Listen to the 'music' he's playing.
Stacking is the least of his worries 🙄

I like to give everything a shelf of its own for slide-out access.
You hopefully don't have to remove things much - but when you do, it really makes things easier (access is also the reason my cabs have wheels).

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Hi there

View attachment 7242
I'd be concerned only if it was a plastic CD unit. And you still have plenty of vent space above the amp. I have a similar setup with less room above the integrated, but enough to install a nice compact and quiet USB-connected fan above it that I appreciate but always forget is there.

You are fortunate to also have lots of space for more albums! BTW, I'd try to arrange them more vertically, probably starting with putting them all in the middle slot --or asymmetrically might look better.

Enjoy your spacious setup!

Fandango Andy

Hi there

View attachment 7242
The lesser of two evils. The CD player case can probably take the weight. In an ideal world you would be better with a better rack that separates the components and gives them room to breathe. The more air around and amp the cooler it will be. Racks tend to have legs rather than solid sides for this reason.

On a different note, I haven't listened to that Erykah Badu album in years. Maybe it's time a gave it a spin.

Jasonovich

View attachment 7253
UPDATE:
My JF Digital transport arrived yesterday, silver to match the matrix. It's certainly getting a little busty now.
A shelfing rack won't work due to limited space, the components are adequately spaced apart (lets hope so), using discrete solid wood panelling and absorption pads.

1723993424838.png
1723993493775.png
1723993557469.png

TRENDING THREADS