Headphone Setup

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Thinking about getting myself a headphone setup now that I'm at university and no longer have my hifi.

I listen to a lot of classical music, and so was thinking about getting either some AKG 701/2s, or some AT ATH-AD700s, or some Beyerdynamics depending on how much money I have.

But my first question is about amps & DACs. I'll be listening to audio from my laptop and so would (preferrably) like a DAC and a headphone amp - it seems like a combo would be more convenient? I'll be outputting via USB.

I've read about the MF X-CANV8P but I think that's quite expensive...I don't particulary want to spend more than £200-250 in total on the DAC/amp...would a Beresford do the job?

Thanks, Tom.

A

Anonymous

Have a look at http://www.hotaudio.com/zen-cart/index.php for some of his products. I have the cheapest one he sells and for the price its a good headphoneamp/dac. He does make even better systems with proper volume controls etc. If my cheap one is this good than the more expensive amp/dacs should be great. I found him through head-fi.org.

A

Anonymous

I used a Beresford DAC and Little dot MK111 pairing at uni, suited me down to the ground. Check out http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/review-little-dot-mkiii-tube-headphone-amp-pre-amp-309855/ for a review of the Little dot. You can always start with a DAC as a headphone amp and then upgrade later adding a dedicated head amp. Something the the Beresford Caiman might suit.

A

Anonymous

Indeed
emotion-1.gif

Now you are talking seriously expensive gear though, and for a studen that _might_ be abit much to spend. None the less.. the gear you are suggesting is great!

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
joestone:I have the cheapest one he sells and for the price its a good headphoneamp/dac.

I presume you're talking about the HOTUSB1? If so that is only £45 for a DAC/amp combo, which sounds pretty good to me! Any views on how the DAC and the headphone amp parts would compare to something like using the Caiman as both (which I think is more like £200?)

Thanks for the speedy replies!

A

Anonymous

I don't think you would be doing justice to the headphones with the £45 combo. I think the Caiman may be a little over 200 but well worth the cash IMO, an excellent DAC and great headphone amp all rolled into one.

A

Anonymous

I have the HOTUSB2 but its basicly the same kit. I mostly use it as just a dac connected to the stereo via a 3 meter usb cable and it sounds sooooooooo much better than the internal soundcard in my lappy and my cd player. My sennheiser headphones are abit too easy to drive for it so its kinda hard to adjust the volume to a perfect setting but it sounds good. He uses quality components like DAC chips from Burr-Brown and he makes them by hand. I would suggest you get one of the more expensive boxes he sells with a volume knob if you intend to use it for headphones only. Its abit more conventiant than adjusting the volume via the pc.

I have no idea how his stuff compares to the caiman but if you are into headfi then sign up at www.head-fi.org and read the forum. Its a website for headphone enthusiasts.
emotion-1.gif
Not saying that this forum is bad, but the one over there is dedicated to headphone nuts

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Great thanks :) The other I thing I have to think about is headphones - any personal recommendations from anyone on this form (I am already a member on head-fi.org :p).

Open headphones are fine as long as they're not literally like hifi speakers on the outside - my walls are pretty good but not amazingly thick.

Don't want to spend much more than £200 :)

A

Anonymous

Hi Tom

I was in a similar situation recently and ended up with the AKG K701s fed by the MF X-Can v8. I got each for under £200 off Ebay, but it took a while. If you are patient, you might find good deals on both, and the setup is amazing!!

Hedgehog

idc

I would recommend the AKG 702s you suggested in your first post. I bought mine as I saw a lot of the members of head-fi combined AKG with Musical Fidelity and the owner of MF recommends AKG. I got mine off ebay (so no warranty) for £170. They do leak sound, but not so your neighbours would know. What Hifi rate the AKGs as well.

As for a DAC/amp check out Firestone http://www.firestone-audio.eu/shop/. I have their Fubar DAC with the Supplier and think it is excellent. They do a Fubar with a headphone amp. Russ Andrews also sell their kit and I also trust their reviews of kit.

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks again - I think the K701 and K702 are the same save the colour and detatchable cable?

Thanks for the Firestone pointer - the Fubar 3 DAC/amp looks pretty good :)

I'm wondering how this compares to the X-CANV8 and the Caiman...all very roughly in the same price range (if you're looking at MF second hand).

idc

You are right about the differences between the K701 and 2s. I get different posts from you as I post this, but to confirm the Cute Beyiond is just a headphone amp.

If you are happy going second hand, the MF with the AKGs means you have entered the hifi upgrade ladder pretty close to the top already. Bear in mind that MF offer an upgrade package for the X-CAN at about £189, so in the long run, for not a huge outlay, you will have something very special.

A

Anonymous

It's also worth noting that the 701s seem to have experienced a price cut recently. A quick google check reveals that they can be had from £204 new, which is excellent!!

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

i can personally recommend the Creek OBH-21SE which you can pick up second hand for about £100. Great amp and great value secondhand.

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that. Read a post on Head-fi saying that the DAC in the V8 wasn't particularly good...like an added freebie? In this case would it be better to just buy a seperate amp and add a V-DAC or something?

idc

Some of those Headfiers can find (claim to find) a difference between two full stops.. The DAC inside the V8P is a Burr-Brown PCM 2706, which is the same as for the USB part of the X-DACV8 and V-DAC. So it a bit more than a starter DAC. Any difference will be down to the rest of the electronics.

I found the V8Ps DAC to be perfectly acceptable. I went with the Firestone Fubar to add more dynamic which I felt that the V8P lacked. The V-DAC would probably be an upgrade, but not as big an upgrade as that headfier is trying to suggest.

A

Anonymous

You could also try one of iBasso's excellent dac/amp's http://www.ibasso.com/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts