HDMI set-up ideas

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Any ideas please.

How to connect my blu-ray,Virgin v+ and Yamaha amp to my HD tv feed through HDMI.

Would I need a HDMI switch box? As I don’t really want to connect the amp OUT to tv IN

Indecently my amp is about 10 feet away from the other devices.

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
rocky66:How to connect my blu-ray,Virgin v+ and Yamaha amp to my HD tv feed through HDMI.

Would I need a HDMI switch box?

Depends on the amp.

As I don't really want to connect the amp OUT to tv IN

Why not?

Indecently my amp is about 10 feet away from the other devices.

You disgust me...

A

Anonymous

Thanks but that dont help me much
emotion-12.gif

daveh75

rocky66:Thanks but that dont help me much
emotion-12.gif
To be fair, with the lack of information in your OP its going to be difficult to help.

Makes/model numbers of your kit would be useful.And why you don't want to use HDMI to connect to the amp.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have to admit to sharing some of the confusion. Are you saying you want to connect the Blu-ray player and Virgin box to the TV, and also to the Yamaha amp? But not connect the amp to the TV? And all via HDMI?

I can see why you might want to do that, but only if you want to have sound from the TV's speakers when playing Blu-ray or watching the Virgin box when the amp is off. Otherwise the logical way is to do everything through the amp, however indecent the distance may be from it to the TV.

A decent 4m HDMI cable is going to cost a lot less than an HDMI switchbox able to take the input from your player and Virgin box and output to two components - TV and amp - simultaneously. And even if you could do this, you may find the direct connection to the TV causing the Blu-ray player to default to the best sound the TV can handle - ie stereo - so the amp might not be able to 'do' HD surround.

A

Anonymous

Ok, I have a Yamaha DSP AX763 amp

Sony BDP S360

Virgin v+

Sony KDL 37V tv

Thanks Andrew

Here's what I'm thinking of doing..

Blu-ray to switchbox IN via HDMI

V+ to switchbox IN via HDMI

Amp to switchbox IN via HDMI

Then a HDMI from the OUT of the switchbox into the Tv.

Will this work?

The reason for the switchbox is that i dont want to run 5+meters of HDMI cable to the amp

And you are quite right in saying
"I can see why you might want to do that, but only if you want to have
sound from the TV's speakers when playing Blu-ray or watching the
Virgin box when the amp is off."

Which is precisely what I'm looking at doing.

Sadly I have no option of having my Amp so 'Disgustingly' far from the other components!

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, that won't work. You won't get sound from any of the sources via the amp. You need to have a switchbox with two HDMI outputs - one to feed the TV, one to feed the amp - and the ability to switch a single source to both outputs at once. That last bit is the vital one - not all such boxes can feed both outputs at once. What you need is a matrix switcher, and for that you could be looking somewhere north of £100.

Even then, you may run into that problem I alluded to before, where the audio limitations of the TV may stop the amp receiving full-fat audio from the source components.

nads

from your description above the Amp may as well not be connected as it will do nothing.

do you want to use the AMP for any sound? if yes then you will some means of splitting the signal and sending it to both the TV and the AMP.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts