HDMI problems - Sony ES2400/BDPS350/Humax FoxSat HDR

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking for some advice on my setup as I'm having intermittent problems at the moment.

My amp/bluray/foxsat sit on one side of the fireplace with a 7.5m HDMI cable running under the floor to the Pioneer 4280 on the other.

I've short (50cm) cables connecting the Bluray and Foxsat to the Sony amp and then a "Ex-Pro Gold Professional - HDMI 1.3 Compliant - 7.5m" bought from amazon connected
from the amp output to the TV.
I've set the kit up a few times now (took it all apart and reconnected when i dropped the cable under the floor) and still find HDMI a bit of a mystery - it's not possible to 'force' HDMI on the amp or TV. ie you can set them to look for component or scart but HDMI is not in the menus.
The implication is that it should 'just work, which is great when it does....

However, each time i've connected the Foxsat it taken either a factory reset of the amp (the first time) or repeated power cycles of everything to get the Foxsat to connect and get a picture and sound.
After initial detection i'm still getting intermittent problems - last night we watched a few hours of programmes and it was fine but the night before the picture and sound were lost 3 times in a 30 minute show (in this case switching to and from the Foxsat input on the amp a few times got it back). The BluRay works fine however.

It seems i'm not the only one who finds the Foxsat HDMI flaky but I don't know how to address it. Humax's advice to connect directly to my screen isn't a lot of help.

Surely if my bluray working without (and 1080p will require more bandwidth than 1080i foxsat outputs) thought i could assume that long cable no problem so has anyone had, heard of, problems on sony 2400es with any other devices? how does switching work - is it just a passive switch (i d have assumed not since audio is processed by amp, although amp won t upscale or put graphics over the top of an hdmi input)?

A

Anonymous

Hi

I have exactly the same system as you except I have a 550 blu ray. Not much help but I have had no real problems - everything is hooked up via the amp although a couple of times after switching on I had to reselect SAT on the amp remote to get the feed from the humax but it has never dropped. If I was in your position I would just use a process of elimination to track down the fault as it could be one of your cables, the amp or the humax.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Bilbo Boggins:Hi

I have exactly the same system as you except I have a 550 blu ray. Not much help but I have had no real problems - everything is hooked up via the amp although a couple of times after switching on I had to reselect SAT on the amp remote to get the feed from the humax but it has never dropped. If I was in your position I would just use a process of elimination to track down the fault as it could be one of your cables, the amp or the humax.

I think it's clear that your Humax box is faulty. Have you tried connecting it straight to the tv, just as a test? If the bluray player is fine and Bilbo has no problems, it could be the hdmi socket in the Humax has been damaged.

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I had a very similar problem with my sky hd box, I tried to set it up so it would output each program in the format it was sent in but it caused the scalar in the amp problem's as adverts would change the resolution all sync was then lost.

Do you have the output set to original on the foxsat? If so try setting it to 1080i.

A

Anonymous

I've had sound issues with my foxsat hdr via hdmi also, already exchanged 1 unit because i kept lossing the sound, but only via the hdmi to the tv, the sound worked ok via optical to the av amp.

Just have to re-boot the hdr to get the sound back which gets annoying, hence the reason for changeing the unit. Now the new one is starting to do the same thing so i've arranged to swap it tommorrow( last chance Humax ).

I think they are having quality control issues by rushing these units out to meet demand.

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts