hdmi leads 1.2 /1.3 ????????

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I have a xbox 360 elite and have am looking to purchase a av amp soon i was going to put the hdmi in the amp and pass it through to the tv and get 5.1 for my games is there a problem with the xbox if its only 1.2 not 1.3. Can i get 5.1 from my xbox 360

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I shouldn't think there'll be a problem. HDMI 1.2 can do 1080p24/50/60 and multichannel audio. 1.3 adds support for resolutions above 1080p (not a problem for most people), support for 100Hz/120Hz refresh rates (again not a problem for most people) and possibly even higher bit depth colour (not really a problem for anyone anytime soon). Plus most decent quality HDMI 1.2 cables will meet the 1.3 specs anyway, as long as were not talking about really long cables. Anything up to 3m should be fine.

From what I hear you can get 5.1 over HDMI from the xbox, but I don't have one so I can't confirm this.

A

Anonymous

Not unless HD sound is of convenience to you. Which it isn't.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
There is no such thing as a 1.2 or 1.3 cable regardless of what manufacturers or sellers say. The 1.2 and 1.3 revisions apply to the equipment only. Cables are speed rated (confusing I know) and are now stated as being cat 1 or cat 2 compliant. Cat 2 being high speed. See the FAQ sections at hdmi.org or bluejeanscables.co.uk. The bluejeanscables site is particularly useful for weeding through the chaff that is spouted about HDMI.

Rest assured your Xbox will work perfectly well with any HDMI cable. At short lengths, even a cheapy lead will pass whatever is thrown at it regardless of whether it has been officially tested or rated. It is only over long lengths, which HDMI was never designed for, that you can encounter 'sparklies' or signal dropouts, particularly when passing 1080p.

TRENDING THREADS