HD audio via Analogue cables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Help please,

I have read previous topics and understand that as i have an 'old' amp which can not decode HD audio i can only obtain HD audio via analogue cables is this correct, also as i am new to the home cinama scene could any one clarify which cables i would need (any recomendations). If i connected via an optical cable would i only receive DD?

Any advice would be really appriciated as i hope to set my new kit up next week

Thanks - great mag!!

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Yes, but you will need a bluray player that can decode and output via analogue cables. ÿThe sony S550 and pana bd55 have this capability - and probably some others but none spring to mind. ÿIf you connected via optical then you would only get either DD or DTS and not the HD audio.ÿ

ÿ

I think you just need phono cables - I have seen another thread on this website which has links of suggested cables, but can't find it at the moment

ÿ

Chisyÿ

A

Anonymous

so i`m lead to believe your blu ray player has to be able to decode the new hd codecs on board,then are sent through the amp via analogue leads approx 6 of them i think, but i am not 100% sure if you would get true hd this way.i`m in the same position would like the arcam avr350 as nothing can touch it in stereo but it doesn`t have all the new hd codecs. hope this helps, try these

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_1&products_id=1

A

Anonymous

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=40821

Having read some of the advice arround i was convinced the only way to get HD audio is via analogue cables if you do not have a receiver that can de code the latest formats, having spoken to an 'expert' in Seven Oaks he helpfully and rather supprisingly stopped me buying 6 cables and infomed me that as long as the player can de code the new formats and then transmit the data in Liner PCM format via the HDMI code and your receiver has an HDMI socket V1.1 or above then that is all you need.

Being some what confused i have search the internet and found the above thread. It is VERY useful and explains things in a really striaghtforward way.

Therefore no need to fork out the extra for cables and can get the cheaper BD35 and not the BD55!

Hope this helps

Snowy1980

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
snowy1980:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=40821

Having read some of the advice arround i was convinced the only way to get HD audio is via analogue cables if you do not have a receiver that can de code the latest formats, having spoken to an 'expert' in Seven Oaks he helpfully and rather supprisingly stopped me buying 6 cables and infomed me that as long as the player can de code the new formats and then transmit the data in Liner PCM format via the HDMI code and your receiver has an HDMI socket V1.1 or above then that is all you need.

Being some what confused i have search the internet and found the above thread. It is VERY useful and explains things in a really striaghtforward way.

Therefore no need to fork out the extra for cables and can get the cheaper BD35 and not the BD55!

Hope this helps

Snowy1980

That is not correct. If your amp/receiver does not decode HD audio, the ONLY way to get it to play HD audio is using a BD player that does decode HD audio and has multi channel out. You will then need at least 6 (three pairs) of stereo interconnects (RCA phono cables). 6 for 5.1 speaker systems and 8 if you have a 7.1 system.

A

Anonymous

I really appreciate your help, however i'm now back to square one with conflicting advice from different sources. The link i put in my reply seemed very convining in that the player could do the de coding and transmit via HDMI the HD audio in PCM format. I am an amature at this game and now feel i could end up with either spending way to much or not getting any benefit (audio) from buying a blue ray player!

Think i might wait until my amp needs upgrading / replacing - given its only two years old Yamaha RX - V1700 i think this may be some time!!

Thanks any way

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, if your Blu-Ray player can decode all the formats onboard and send them out via the HDMI port via Linear PCM and your amp is able to accept that Linear PCM signal via its HDMI port, then you will be getting the HD audio formats properly. This is how the PS3 works.
If your amp is unable to accept the Linear PCM signal via its HDMI port, then the only way to get HD audio formats is via the analogue multi-channel outputs. Before you ask, I have no idea which is better - I'm guessing they're pretty much of a muchness.

A

Anonymous

Very useful! Thank you. I have a Yamaha RX - v1700 and was thinking about the Pan - BD35 so i think these meet the criteria. What do you think? Not that concerned which one is better as i guess either will be a big leap forward.

Thanks again

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
snowy1980:
Very useful! Thank you. I have a Yamaha RX - v1700 and was thinking about the Pan - BD35 so i think these meet the criteria. What do you think? Not that concerned which one is better as i guess either will be a big leap forward.

Thanks again

I may be totally wrong here but I was under the impression that the only receivers that can accept an hdmi feed of PCM also can decode HD audio anyway. Are you sure that your Yamaha can do this?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gerrard,
Had a look in the manual for the receiver - it can accept Multichannel Linear PCM through the HDMI so it will be fine. This was provided in some amps previous to the whole Blu-Ray business so these amps could accept the signal from some DVD / SACD players for DVD-Audio / SACD.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Hi Gerrard,
Had a look in the manual for the receiver - it can accept Multichannel Linear PCM through the HDMI so it will be fine. This was provided in some amps previous to the whole Blu-Ray business so these amps could accept the signal from some DVD players for DVD-Audio / SACD.

Thanks Prof for that. There can't be many amps that offer that? Maybe the more musical labels like Yamaha and Arcam were keeping their dvd audio and sacd campers happy.

You learn something new everyday!

A

Anonymous

i may have found the solution http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDMIto71.htm

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I thought that at first, but then I guess if you've got a really good old AV receiver worth a few thousand pounds with no HDMI in, this would be a neat solution to getting HD audio through it...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:I thought that at first, but then I guess if you've got a really good old AV receiver worth a few thousand pounds with no HDMI in, this would be a neat solution to getting HD audio through it...

You could buy a £250 or less BD player with multi channel out and do it that way with an older receiver. I don't understand the need for that gadget I'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

it was just a idea for a question.how about this 1 http://www.lektropacks.com/view_product_standard.php?product=1001185&sub1=126&show=126

TRENDING THREADS