Have I seen the HDMI light?

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I was sceptical about HDMI cables, so long as they met the required specification I thought they couldn't make a difference.

However, when I installed my new amp, I used Philips HDMI cables (they make TVs, so they must know how to make the cables, right?) - except that 1m, which all the cables are, is too short to connect the amp to the TV.

Then I checked the Xbox 360 HDMI cable, from Microsoft, and it's 2m long, so it fit perfectly between the amp and TV.

The picture looked good. However, I occasionally noticed a slight 'jerking' effect. It was as if a tiny number of frames had been cut.

This was intermittent, and possibly random, as if I watched the same scene again I couldn't notice it! It was not a big problem, but something you tend to watch out for when you know it's there.

It happened on both Blu-rays and DVDs (although I didn't noticed it on Cloverfield, which was the first BD I played - hardly surprising I suppose).

Not wishing to spend a small fortune on a new cable, in case that was not the problem, I got a Philips flat 2m HDMI cable, and the picture is now perfect! * The MS cable is supposedly 1080p, but maybe it's not fast enough? I never noticed any problems playing the 360 direct into the TV.

I might have to consider upgrading all the HDMIs, when funds allow ...

* I hope I'm not tempting fate here

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
nads:sounds more likely a faulty cable or one that is not full compliant as an upscaled DVD image requires more band width than a BD image.

really? How much more?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts