Have I got this wired up right? And what amp should I get?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
A few weeks ago, I posted a question here – not being an expert on this stuff, I think I didn’t phrase my questions very well, but I got some very helpful comments nevertheless.
Orignal post here. http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/280165.aspx
Here’s another attempt, based on the help I got last time: - I’m buying a new TV and a HUMAX HDD (freesat) receiver so that I can record / rewind programmes.- I also want to get a recordable DVD so that I can take some stuff off the HDD and keep it occasionally.- I’ve got an iPod and a cassette deck already and I’m about to buy a (low-end-ish) phono turntable. The thing I need advice on, is what amp or receiver (not sure I’m even clear on the difference – let’s just rename it ‘box’) should I get to give me a decent sound from the TV AND from the music equipment – and how should I connect it up? I did the wiring diagram so that I’d be able to work out what kind of amp and speaker package I need to buy. I have the following constraints - I’m on a fairly tight budget, - the wife has intolerant (frankly, far-right) views on the subject of wiring, so I’d probably be happy with one of those ‘virtual’ surround sound speaker systems that doesn’t have ‘behind-the-head’ speakers- I don’t want to have a load of remote controls in the living room so that I have to configure the setup each time. I want it to be fairly straightforward to use.- I don't really wear the trousers in my own house So my two questions:1. Is this wiring diagram right now?2. Is there an amp / speaker package that will do all of this for a reasonable price?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Wiring diagram looks fine to me (Assuming the dvd player does indeed have a SCART IN socket)

Amp or receiver ~

Well a receiver has a built in radio so you dont actually NEED one of them, but most have them anyways. What you DO need is an AV AMP (Multichannel amplifier with speakers 'behind the head').

Or you could go for a simple 2 channel stereo design (speakers left and right).

Or you could go for a 'soundbar' (Which would probably be ideal from what youve said so far). A soundbar is a single unit that sits just below the tv and gives a surround 'effect'. The problem I see with a soundbar is they sometimes have fairly limited connections (Im not that well up on them so cant really advise without seeing 'specs')

idc

I would query whether your MP3 (ipod as you say earlier) to Amp/receiver would work with a USB. That would usually work from ipod to PC to synchronise it. That connection is probably best made with either a dock which will work with minijack(smaller headphone jack) to phono (ordinary red/white analogue interconnects) or minijack to minijack cable. Or you can use what is called a Line Out Dock, which is a cable which connects from the port at the bottom of the ipod to either minijack or phono.

A

Anonymous

On the iPod, thanks for that, idc - good point. I didn't really think that through. I was just thinking of a USB connection that would get the iPod charged at the same time as channeling music in. I'll probably get a doc for it. Alienric - thanks for that. The soundbar does sound right. Surely the soundbar is just something you have instead of the normal 'home cinema' set of five speakers and a subwoofer? It'd only need to have inputs coming from the amp? I'd also need an amp wouldn't I? Reading what you've said, I wonder if you're implying that a soundbar was an amp+speaker integrated unit? I'm looking at the back-panel of the Humax - here: http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/images/products/foxsathdr_rear.gif Maybe I don't need the cable between the Humax and the amp at all? Sound could go from Humax >>> TV >>> Amp? http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/images/products/foxsathdr_rear.gifBut it seems that I'm narrowing it down now - I just need an amp that has all of the right inputs and outputs. It needs to have the following audio inputs- Humax (maybe not?)- TV (is an 'optical out' the best for this?) - recordable DVD (again, surely this would go DVD >> TV >> Amp?)- iPod doc- cassette- phono (prob via a pre-amp)

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Soundbar is an amp with speakers but most of the time limited connectivity.

It won't give you real surround sound but some make good attempts.

You'd need to check the specs so that the soundbar had all the connectivity you require to fit it in with your current/intended set up.

As always, audition with your own source material CD/DVD - and when testing, take you MP3 player with you to ensure the correct dock is purchased.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

OK. It looks like I'm moving away from the soundbar option - I'd be astonished if I could get one with as many audio-inputs - even though it'd be perfect. Unless I could find some little unit that I could put multiple AV inputs into one socket and manually select it (which wouldn't be too onerous....)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
How much are you looking at spending? Take into consideration the following ~

More money generally does mean better sound. Are you going to be listening to a lot of music? Music will DEFINITELY sound better out of a stereo amplifier

if you MUST have true 'surround sound' then you need an AV amp

If your mrs wants it to be as discreet as possible then your going to be majorly limited to what you can buy

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your patience on this aliEnRIK - I think I'm now looking at <£400 for the speakers and the amp if possible, but I may be able to stretch it if I could hide a bit of cash from herself for a while ;-)

I don't mind manually switching the AV connection, and I've just been looking at the Maplin's catalogue and seen that there is a serviceable multi-selecter that can handle all of the audio - so I now think that the amp only needs one connection from the optical out from the TV and one for the AV.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9328

If I've got this right, I'm looking for Amp / speakers that will be good at outputting ordinary stereo for the music and surround sound for the video stuff. Again, having to manually select wouldn't be the end of the world though an auto-select would be nice.

I doubt if a soundbar would do both (would it?) so I'm probably resigned to the 5-speaker + subwoofer.

Getting there I think? Any suggestions?

A

Anonymous

This is the wire-up that I've got in mind now. Does it look OK?

http://tinyurl.com/lcwnev

I reckon I could probably do this with any home cinema amp, so now my
main concern is one that will be good for music AND TV/film.

daveh75

Pauliewaulie:
This is the wire-up that I've got in mind now. Does it look OK?

http://tinyurl.com/lcwnev

I reckon I could probably do this with any home cinema amp, so now my
main concern is one that will be good for music AND TV/film.

It depends on the amp/receiver you're planning on,but a lot of A/V receiver's dont have phono stages for TT's so you may have to buy a seperate phono stage also.

TRENDING THREADS